Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Speed Reading

"But anything much beyond about 250 words per minute and you're probably sacrificing comprehension."

I highly doubt this is true, when I"m reading and enjoying it the mostc coincides with when i am reading fastest. This is also what everything i've read on speed reading says. when you go slower you get bored, and when you get bored you go slower. I have a hard time beliving that the world champions in speed reading are 2000 WPM and 1200 and 1100 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, maybe no one cares about the world championship.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Just an FYI. Bruiser, when you have kids, force them to read. They have to read, and read a lot before the age of 12. The brain is rewiring itself during that stage in life and it will make a difference. For instance, people who learn a language before the age of 12 don't have an accent. Those who learn after 12 do.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, people who learn a language before the age of 12 don't have an accent. Those who learn after 12 do.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty gross generalization. it is quite popularly told that it's easier for kids to learn new languages though.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:56 PM

wacki i completely agree with your point. in fact, it might be one of the reasons why i'm so smart now
Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, people who learn a language before the age of 12 don't have an accent. Those who learn after 12 do.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty gross generalization. it is quite popularly told that it's easier for kids to learn new languages though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gross generalization was made for succinctness. Obviously not everyone falls into those two categories. I was inaccurate, I apologize. However, I still stand by my main point.

Bruiser, please explain. Are you saying you read a lot as a kid? Or were there other factors too?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 PM

"The gross generalization was made for succinctness. Obviously not everyone falls in those into those two categories. I was inaccurate, I apologize. "

No need to apologize, astroglide is just being stupid

'
Bruiser, please explain. Are you saying you read a lot as a kid? Or were there other factors too?'

yah my parents read to me when i was little, classics such as, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Where The Wild Things Are, and my favorite (obviously), GOodnight Moon
Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Thanks for sticking up for me bruiser. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

yah my parents read to me when i was little, classics such as, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Where The Wild Things Are, and my favorite (obviously), GOodnight Moon

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of parents do that. I doubt those books are what set you apart. My dad forced my sister to read the new york times every day when she was very young. As a result she has amazing abilities when it comes to reading large quantities of material. Even all of her classmates at medical school were jealous. I rebelled as a child and so my reading speed is rather slow. Then again most of the things I read are rather complex and can fit on a napkin. Still, I wish I had listened to my dad when I was a child.

When I have kids I'm going to lay down a pile of books and force them to read a book of their choosing (<-- very important as that's why I didn't read) as soon as they are able to read on their own. I will most likely discuss the book with them every Sunday if not more often.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:03 PM

if your kids absolutely hate reading are you going to force them? i think there is a line in which discipline is not worth the misery, but am not mature enough to know where that line resides.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:32 PM

I will minimize the pain by giving them a wide choice of reading material. I will buy them any book they want from Robert Greene's "Art of Seduction", to politics books, history, hard science, greek mythology, etc. The exercise will be good for their brain and the knowledge they gain will be good for them as well. I will explain to them the reasoning behing my decisions. If they do their work I will reward them with more freedoms and other benifits. If they don't I will take freedoms away. I will adjust to each kids abilities and effort. They will learn very quickly that their life will be much better off in the short run and the long run for reading on a daily basis. An hour a day outside of schoolwork should be more than enough reading IMO. It really isn't that much to ask.

If they work hard I will give them more freedoms than 99% of their classmates will have. If they are lazy I will go as far as striping their bedroom down to the white paint and locking them in to die of boredom.

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

-SS Obersturmbanführer Rudolf Höss
Old 07-10-2005, 08:40 PM

alright fair enough. i definitely agree that its a good idea to allow them to read whatever they want to.

im not so sure if i agree with your logic that if they read they deserve more priviledges than 99% of their classmates. i dont think that reading (most) books is going to be more important than making sure that your children are restricted from certain things.