Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 AM

Default PL08 tourney with bottom two pair

This hand was pretty late in a tourney where 18 places paid and 30 players remained. My stack was a little under average at this point.
Blinds were 200/400.
I have 5590 in chips and my opponent has 5962 in chips.
Everyone folds to the SB and me in the BB.

PokerStars (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 200.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls 1990 (All-In).

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qc Qd Kc 6h (High: two pair, kings and sixes).
SB has Ad Ks 8h 5c (Low: 8, 6, 5, 2, A | High: two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: SB wins . </font>

Should I have re-potted this on the flop like I did? I felt like my hand was still good at this point and I didnt want to give any more free cards so that is why I went crazy on the flop. What are some other ways I could have played this hand? Is folding to a pot sized bet on the flop an option here? Please help.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: PL08 tourney with bottom two pair

You flopped a 2 card hand in a 4 card game. It's not surprising you lost. I would check fold that on the flop. You have no draw whatsoever, the hand is terrible.
It doesn't matter whether you think your hand is good on the flop, it's whether you think it will be good on the river. With no low draw, no straight draw, no flush draw and no use for the other 2 cards in your hand any punter with an ace and some random low cards beats you up. It doesn't matter whether one of them can beat bottom 2 pair on the flop, it's whether they will on the river, which I say yes, they will.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:55 AM

Old 08-17-2005, 11:39 AM

I like betting the flop to see where you're at, and folding to the raise. The way he plays his hand, he has to have A-Kxx. Most people will limp with a high hand like that in late position. You should definitely fold to his flop raise!