Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 11:09 AM

Default value bet with trip aces on board

Online 15-30. I'm dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. EP call, folded to me. I raise to isolate (?), but both blinds call, as does EP. EP is a bit loose.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Checked to me, and I bet my underpair. Both blinds fold, but EP calls.

Turn is:

[A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Checked to me. I bet and EP calls.

River is:

[A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to me. Is this a value bet? Results to follow.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Re: value bet with trip aces on board

Mike:
Clearly yes. The only question in my mind is whether you'd make more by checking to induce a bluff (that is, how often your opponent will call if you bet versus how often he'll bluff if you check). This is very player specific, of course. But most of the time EP's limp pre-flop means he doesn't hold pocket pair 8's or higher, and odds are against his holding an Ace. I'd think you'd have heard a bet from someone with a 7. Pocket 6's? Maybe, but worrying about that seems unhelpful.

This is a spot where player knowledge really pays off. I know folks who'd are slowplay addicts with any Ace in this situation, against whom I'd give more thought to checking here. I know others who'd have had to check-raise at some point before the river with any pocket pair, 7, or 4.

Gino
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 AM

hi mike
you are very close to being a 60% favorite if called and the conditions are ok. but remember, when you make a value bet, you must have a fairly solid image. if you've been betting under-pairs strongly heads up, then you check it down here. if you have been showing down the goods, but you're up against a steamer, strongly consider checking it dowm. your image and the table has to be on a level keel and conservative-ish, just like it needs to be before bluffing, in order to value bet in these marginal situations. it is not just getting money into the pot. one component of a value bet is some realistic possibility of getting the fold, but also, and just as importantly, not being raised. if you wouldn't run a total bluff because of the conditions, then don't value bet.

it looks like you're good here. but many players tend to value bet because they have a tiny lead and want to get more money in the pot, not considering their image or the table. that's wrong because value betting is not strategically betting to fold out middle pairs higher than yours, hands that may fold. value betting is done with only a slim chance of getting a fold and a more likely chance of getting called by lesser hands. obviously, if your opponent is going to fold all hands that you beat, and only call with better hands, value betting is wrong. you're then risking an avoidable raise. here mike, he looks K high to me and i think he will call. he may have 22, 33, but he also may have middle pair. there is a slim chance that he will fold it if bluffing conditions exist, and as long as you are perceived as solid, go for it. the great majority of the time, you won't have all these factors, and therefore you should usually check it down.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 AM

What beatable hands can this EP caller have here?

Uh, 22, 33, KQ, or, uh...what?

This seems to me to be a perfect spot to check the turn and call the river. But seeing as you have decided to bet the turn (to be called by...what?), I don't see a value bet on the end.

The biggest question you can ask is what did this player call with on the flop? The 3 hands I listed above are the only 3 remotely likely beatable hands that I can find.

If this is true, you can't really see a value bet here, can you?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:55 AM

I'd bet.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:58 AM

I put him on pocket pair. Since you don't beat a whole lot of pocket pairs i think it's check and call situation
Old 08-22-2003, 11:58 AM

The only question in my mind is whether you'd make more by checking to induce a bluff (that is, how often your opponent will call if you bet versus how often he'll bluff if you check).

I assume you're talking about the river. How can he check to induce a bluff if he's last to act?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:00 PM

check out of turn ? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 12:01 PM

lol
Old 08-22-2003, 12:07 PM

As always, it depends on the player but I would take the following factors into account.

He limps from EP and you raise so he should (depending on your table image) put you on a decent holding.

It is checked to you on the flop and you bet an AA7 r board. He calls. There are no draws there at all. Depending on the player he is unlikely to have a 7 after limping from EP. It all depends on your table image. If you make this isolation raise with a lot of hands (which you probably do given your 55 raise and the fact both blinds called you) he may think he is drawing live with a hand like KQ or KJ. The point is that he does not believe that you have an A.

The turn is a blank and he check calls. This situation is so specific to each other's playing characteristics. If you are the kind of player who keeps betting but are prepared to fold to a turn check raise he may have an A (although the river card reduces the chances of this).

On the river the 3rd A falls and it is checked to you. I would check here. As stated previously, he did not believe you had an A before the river card and he definitely doesn't now. Given he did not raise up front he is unlikely to have TT-KK. 99,88,66,44(unlikely as no turn raise),33,22 are possibilities. He may have paired a 7 instead. By checking you also remove the possibility of getting check raised as you would have to fold unless the player was extremely tricky.

He has shown no intention of folding a better hand. You do have a pair to showdown. If you bet 33 or 22 may call you depending on the player. You may get a K to call you but there are too few worse hands that will call to merit a bet in this position for my liking and you remove the possibility of being moved off your hand by a bluff raise.