Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Silly? Or okay?

My thoughts on the flop were this probably missed the raiser, and likely the caller too. But since this preflop raiser almost always fires a continuation bet, I thought I'd trap both of them for another SB, and then put them away on a non-QKA non-club turn. (9 cards out of 47) If I take this flop line should I bet every turn? Opponents are pretty typical, neither terribly aggressive or loose.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins 7.20 BB. </font>
Old 12-03-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Silly? Or okay?

Preflop is a little loose from UTG+1 on what doesn't look like a great table, but whatever.

The flop is iffy. If MP3 has an overpair, he's going to 3bet and blow away BB, charging you far more for your draw than you'd like. (10:3, where even money is 4:1)

The turn is perfect.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 AM

I like preflop assuming this particular hand was an exception to the rule, the flop is a bit odd, but I think the turn is the right move after seeing villains flop play, and the callers check.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:55 AM

I like it, other than the call PF :P I think your analysis on the hand is spot-on. Don't bet every turn however, take your free card if an over drops on the turn.

I call with 89s UTG+1 all day long in NL; however, strategy with suited connectors has to change a little in limit since you're implied odds are pretty terrible by comparison. Just something to consider.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:23 AM

Fold pre-flop. You need to play this hand with position. Flop is.. well... not good. You have a large field and a lot of possible draws out there, not to mention a pre-flop raiser who is still betting. you want to check/call here and keep the field active, not isolate.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Nobody wants to hear about PF, but chances are you should fold if this is a typical line of action on this table PF (raisers and no callers).

I'd like your flop line a lot better if BB had folded (and even then, it's marginal). With two players, you have no fold equity with your check raise and not enough people for a value raise.

Unless you have a really conservative image (and no one at .25/.50 has any image at all) I think more times than not you're going to get called down by any pair.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:54 AM

grunch:

I think the plan is a good one if on the flop MP bets and BB folds-- that that would be my standard play here. since BB called, I would peel. In that case, the turn would present a dilemma. Checkraise? c/c? donkbet? I'm having a hard time deciding what is best and i think it boils down to a read. In general, i like the hand. FWIW, i limp 89s in EP, probably a leak though.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunch:

I think the plan is a good one if on the flop MP bets and BB folds-- that that would be my standard play here. since BB called, I would peel. In that case, the turn would present a dilemma. Checkraise? c/c? donkbet? I'm having a hard time deciding what is best and i think it boils down to a read. In general, i like the hand. FWIW, i limp 89s in EP, probably a leak though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a leak. When you play higher limits you fold or raise this. Raise for deceptive purposes, not for getting proper field to draw.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a leak. When you play higher limits you fold or raise this. Raise for deceptive purposes, not for getting proper field to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only time you could get away with limping this hand is when the table composition allows it (i.e. very LLP table composition).

I don't feel so bad limping EP even if there's a couple of pf aggressive opponents in LP if I know there's going to be a lot of limpers between us...it just adds to my variance. But man, when my hand does hit, I get a delicious pot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]