Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Default PF Raise and Continuation Bet from BB

In SSH, they indicate that failing to raise hands like AJs from the blinds with 3-4 limpers is a massive leak. They argue that your equity edge is too large with a hand like that to wait for the flop.

This is a lesson that I still haven't totally taken to heart. Without position, I don't see the appeal of a continuation bet into a large field with a flop that totally misses you (say K84 with no backdoor flush draws) - it doesn't protect your hand as anyone who has any piece of it has odds to at least peel one off since you built up the pot, and you don't have the ability to get a free card either. But I absolutely hate raising PF then check calling (or worse, check folding) a flop. Is this the optimal play here (independent of reads)?

I get raising from the blinds with AK because even if you miss the flop, you've given yourself odds to draw to top pair on the turn, but with hands like AJs & ATs, there's a much stronger chance that your hand is no good even if you pair your kicker. I just don't see how this is a profitable play.

I can see the value of a PF raise and a lead into the flop, if it's just you, the SB, and one other limper - but more than that and it seems like you're spewing.

What am I not seeing?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: PF Raise and Continuation Bet from BB

A continuation bet with a hand that totally missed the flop into a field of 4 loose passives is spewing. You are correct. You aren't 'tied' to a pot because you raised PF. Move on the the next hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]