Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Calling All-in on the bubble with AK

This is a $6.50 - 2-table tournament, so top 4 places are in the money.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t5225)
SB (t5995)
BB (t5285)
UTG (t5280)
Hero (t5215)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG raises to t5230</font>, Hero...

Villain is solid - a little weak tight at times - hasn't been caught bluffing. I was very surprised with the opening bet (he hasn't done this before). My read was that around 70% of the time he had a pair up to JJ. 20% of the time he had AK and the other 10% he had a slightly weaker A (he was tight enough that I didn't think it likely that he'd leave himself no room to get away from AJ - especially on the bubble - and I think he'd try to get more out of his AA-QQ since this is obviously a bet that doesn't really want to be called).

Obviously, with this hand range and 1150 in blinds and antes already in the pot, I have the odds to call, not to mention that with the blinds and antes this high you can't wait around forever. Nevertheless, since I felt pretty certain that this was a race hand, should I take this chance when I'm one from the money? If anyone's stack was crippled, it seems to lean towards fold a lot stronger, but as is, I have a choice between losing it all or being in the money with a pretty sizable chip lead. This almost seems more like a question of one's tolerance for variance than it does strategy, but still I'd like to hear people's thoughts.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Calling All-in on the bubble with AK

Auto call. Like in two seconds.