Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM

Default AA

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 09-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: AA

I can see waiting for the turn to raise here, since the board is completely drawless. But why you are not raising the turn is beyond me.

EDIT: Going for overcalls? I don't think I like it with possible straight and flush draws out there.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Awesome.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM

I think this is a great line. You are either WA/WB. If you raise the turn, there is a great possibilty that the you will chase out alot of hands that you are dominating and you may get 3-bet if UTG does have a 3. The 2 overcalls on the turn and the 1 on the river make your line perfect IMO.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM

this is pretty interesting. I obviously wouldn't play it this way but I can see why you did. On the flop you are pretty likely to be ahead, but everyone else only has 2 outs max, maybe 3-4 if they have an 8 with backdoor flush draw. Usually everyone else will be drawing practically dead. Plus if someone has a 3 you can save some.

I would raise the turn, however. It is definitely possible that sb or bb peeled that flop with a hand like 9T or TQ which has a straight draw now. You can make a gutter call incorrectly and get 2 from an OESD. A jack or 8 might also call 2 if the players are loose. The way you played the turn, I would also call the river I think.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Sick, but I think I like it.

I would raise the turn myself.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 PM

I play it the same.

This is a good hand to post. I'm sure you didn't have any doubts about how you played this, but certainly many posters would have raised impulsively somewhere in this hand.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 PM

Why not raise the river?

I also think its important not just to state "WA/WB" as a justification for passive play. If "WA" is 98% of the time, and "WB" is 2% of the time, clearly a raise is needed. Not to say that that is necessarily the case here, but I think the "WA/WB" gets overused around here on occasion.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 PM

I don't understand this hand at all. I understand the concepts involved, but I guess I don't believe that going for overcalls on the turn and river is more profitable than raising the turn or river.

Krishan
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM

I´ve changed my mind.

I think slowplaying the flop is fine as the 3 guys behind are drawing very slim, either runner runner or two outs, since the board is paired low, so letting them in for one bet is good.

On the turn though, UTG will very likely call a raise, so you will make more if SB or BB coldcalls. I think this will happen often enough to raise it up. Either XXd,Jx, T9, 8x or some pocket pair, praying that you have just big diamonds or maybe just praying.