Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Raise or check
Check 7 63.64%
Raise 200 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Have aliens visited earth?

With the barrier of the speed of light, it is extremely unlikely (effectively impossible) we have been visited.

I think there is a chance that this barrier can be broken with space travel, but it is very unlikely (almost impossible) that this is the case. I think this is the key mistake most of the 26% who voted yes on Q2 are making, because if you think the barrier cant be broken I cant see how any logical person could say its remotely likely we've been visited.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 AM

To everyone who hasn't seen Cosmos,

it's a brilliant mini series from Carl Sagan done 25 some odd years ago. I recommend seeing all 13 episodes, but there is one in particular, "Encyclopedia Galactica" I believe, that deals with this subject. Even today, it's extremely informative and a great watch. This episode even goes into the probability theories.

Check it out,
Ross
Old 12-14-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the barrier of the speed of light, it is extremely unlikely (effectively impossible) we have been visited.

I think there is a chance that this barrier can be broken with space travel, but it is very unlikely (almost impossible) that this is the case. I think this is the key mistake most of the 26% who voted yes on Q2 are making, because if you think the barrier cant be broken I cant see how any logical person could say its remotely likely we've been visited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until we have a greater understanding of these topics, human speculation on light travel is just silly.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 AM

I think it is fairly silly to argue about which planets are inhabitable by intelligent life, the mechanisms of evolution would suggests that many plants that would seem uninhabitable to us, would simply develop life forms that are able to survive in the extreme conditions.

Once again, I don't think we have the knowledge available to us to speculate on the extent to which life can mutate and develop under conditions outside of our atmosphere.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM

The scientific and intellectual capability of our society is growing exponentially. I am not sure if this is directly related to size of world population, or speed of communication.... It could be related to a number of factors in conjunction. Either way, our scientific growth seems to be gaining momentum not losing momentum, and it is logical to conclude that we will continue to develop at this ever increasing exponential rate forever, barring mass death or extincition.

That said, I expect to be able to speculate intelligently on not just weather life exists on other planets, but instead on the characteristics and mechanisms of the development of life on other planets in my lifetime.

This should coincide with a more in depth understanding of space-time and light travel.

blake
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is to say the speed of light must be exeeded? For all we know, in the event that there is life on another planet, they might have a lifespan of several hundred thousand years. Crazy, yes, but so is any of this talk.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 AM

I think the real question is, what does being visited "look like"? And has -that- happened?

Besides, we already know things traveling faster than the speed of light, it's just not very well known yet and we have no way of using it (atleast consciously) at this time... I don't remember the details very well, but physisists have known for quite some time that a part of the atom(electron? or whatever I don't remember) is impossible to say exactly where it is, you can only say there's a chance it is at a certain place at a certain time. The thing is, this doesn't have to be anywhere near the atom's "centre" at all. There's a chance that it is on the other side of the universe in a split second while it was "here" right before, thus it "travels" extremely fast. So if you could find a way to manipulate this, you could effectively communicate with someone on the other side of the universe, more or less instantly.

Forgive me for not knowing all the details on this nor all the english words for it, but my brother majored or whatever it's called in physics and has explained this a couple times to me, and I've read a couple articles and parts of a book on the subject, although the articles were in swedish so I'm not sure about all the words.

I don't claim to understand much of this but it seems that the conclusion about using it as a way of communication is something we are working on right now, and maybe in x years we can use it for more than just communication, but also for traveling using the same technique, who knows? And who's to say "aliens" haven't been using this for thousands of (earthly) years?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Just an FYI-
The pentagon does have detailed plans on what the initial response would be if aliens ever land on US soil. It was in an issue of Discover or Scientific American a while back.

Basically, if some sort of ship touches down the immediate area is evacuated. Juristicion goes to the FBI and the Nuclear Incident Response Team. Any beings on the ship are immediatly taken into custody by the FBI, and the NIR Team takes possesion of the spacecraft.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-
The pentagon does have detailed plans on what the initial response would be if aliens ever land on US soil. It was in an issue of Discover or Scientific American a while back.

Basically, if some sort of ship touches down the immediate area is evacuated. Juristicion goes to the FBI and the Nuclear Incident Response Team. Any beings on the ship are immediatly taken into custody by the FBI, and the NIR Team takes possesion of the spacecraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, our hubris is so adorable.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very interesting...