Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Value bet this riv with AA?

2nd hand in. No line on Small Blind.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

Button ($50.25)
SB ($48.25)
BB ($74.03)
UTG ($32.30)
UTG+1 ($48.50)
MP1 ($53.10)
Hero ($49)
CO ($12.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($7) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10.

River: ($35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks.

What range of hands do you put the SB on?

He called out of position on both the flop and turn. Its fairly safe to assume he didn't call 6x the BB with a 5. Could he have a set and NOT reraise on the turn, as well as check the riv?

I put my opponent on 99-JJ with his flop and turn play. I fired a value bet of $15 on the river. What do think of this course? Would I have been better served longterm to check behind him with only a pair on this board?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Value bet this riv with AA?

Villain IMO has high spades or an overpair, a value bet of about 15-20 is in order here. On the turn, I bet out here as well, as I dont put a 5 in villians range, and I dont wanna give a free spade.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 AM

More money earlier....
Old 12-13-2005, 04:03 AM

I'm new to the forums, but not to poker and here is what I'm getting from this:

Some players will call with any pocket pair just to see the flop to see if they picked up a set. I think it's unlikely that he called with 22, but possible with 33 or 66. In which case your beat.

Now I don't like how he is just calling your bets throughout the hand. It seems to indicate that possibly he does have the set, because I believe a KK or QQ, possibly even a JJ would raise you to try to scare you away.

It's a real tough decision and I may not be the best person to say this, but probably checking in the long run would be the better decision, first if he puts out a huge bet then you are in a bad position and I frankly wouldn't know what to do, AA is hard to lay down in those situations.

If he just checks, he may have just had the lower pair and didn't think you had the rockets. Thats just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 AM

The action suggests a pp 77-JJ to me. (Low board, villain just c/cing) I'd think a set or 55 for the turned straight would play slightly faster, although it's possible. I think a value bet is in order.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 AM

I think I probably check behind. The pot is good sized and if you make a $15 value bet what is your plan if he pushes? Puke and fold right? Your hand has definite showdown value and i'm not really sure hands you beat call in this spot very often.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 AM

im guessing a spade draw or lower PP that is beat.

i'd bet 2/3 the pot and i think we'll see a fold.

if you think there's any chance he's super slowplaying something or with c-r you, then i'd check behind.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 AM

Villain's hand looks like a busted draw. Since he didn't bomb the river, he is probably folding to any bet. Hero has a hand worth showing down. If hero isn't prepared to call an all-in then he should check behind. If villain is unknown then I would check behind to see what kind of hand turns him into a calling station.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM

I like the check behind aswell, check/calls can be a big hand sometimes, and if traps you on the river you are in a terrible spot. Bet a bit more on the flop as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM

More on the flop and turn. I like betting 10-15 here. He hates it because he must call with 99-KK. I like 99-JJ is most likely from a calling station.