Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 09:39 PM

Default A slightly more interesting decision than my last post

This is in the middle stages of a 1000FPP tourney, top 4 get entry into the 10,000FPP tourney where the top 3 go to Atlantis.

I'm somewhere near the upper middle of the pack, maybe 25ish left.

I have clearly told him I have TPTK, he apparantly doesn't care.

Villian is aggressive, but has shown down reasonable hands.

He plays too often to always have a good hand PF though, seems good post flop.

This was 1 of 4 tourneys I was playing at the time, so I was only bothering to play good hand because I couldn't pay attention to detail, so maybe he saw me as tightish, not sure.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t4375)
MP2 (t4215)
CO (t1735)
Button (t4015)
SB (t3860)
BB (t8258)
UTG (t2087)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t650) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2000</font>

Hero?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: A slightly more interesting decision than my last post

[ QUOTE ]
This is in the middle stages of a 1000FPP tourney, top 4 get entry into the 10,000FPP tourney where the top 3 go to Atlantis.

I'm somewhere near the upper middle of the pack, maybe 25ish left.

Villian is aggressive, but has shown down reasonable hands.

He plays too often to always have a good hand PF though, seems good post flop.

This was 1 of 4 tourneys I was playing at the time, so I was only bothering to play good hand because I couldn't pay attention to detail, so maybe he saw me as tightish, not sure.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t4375)
MP2 (t4215)
CO (t1735)
Button (t4015)
SB (t3860)
BB (t8258)
UTG (t2087)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t650) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2000</font>

Hero?

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks kinda like K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] maybe? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I really don't know. I need more experience so I know what the hell to do in spots like this
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM

With the top heavy structure, against an aggro opponent, and a draw heavy flop, I don't think I'm folding. I'm debating between pushing or calling and calling/pushing any turn.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ughh, what? Are you serious?

The only clear thing here is him trying to push you off your hand with an overbet.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ughh, what? Are you serious?

The only clear thing here is him trying to push you off your hand with an overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's kinda what I said, but with different words.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh

You bet the flop. What does that tell him again?

This decision is very common and tricky. If your opponent is very straight forward you can get rid of the hand. If he's not then I call the raise and probably get it all in on the turn, or just push. It's good to mix in a check on the flop here too when you're deep like this, because rarely is an opponent going to call 3 big pot sized bets (unless you have a nutso image like the one i have sometimes) with a worse hand. A flop check gives him a free card but keeps the pot smaller when you're behind and generally allows you to extract more value out of second best hands. However, I still like bet bet bet because thats what I always do on the flop... It just can make for a tricky spot or two like this.

Most of the time I think you should be going broke here especially in a fpp field.

-Jason
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Hero pushes.

There's no point in making a heroic laydown in a freeroll when you are playing 4 tables.

Villain's range is pretty wide.

22 hands villain is ahead.
13 hands villain is even.
and every other hand that villain raises here hero is ahead.

The pots laying 2:1 and a win here would put hero in great shape. I'm definitely playing the hand.

I don't think there's much of a difference between calling and pushing, although he might laydown a hand that has no recourse. I probably push for image.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM

If your description is even remotely accurate, all my chips are getting in the middle here.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM

I didn't know a normal continuation bet meant TPTK. I get it all in.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Results

Yeah, its a freeroll, but the play was good, but I still can't lay that down.

I'd hate to call and have a club come off, get pushed off my hand by a bluff.

I was thinking set and AQ as probable, but his bet was a little too big, so I decided he was on the draw and pushed.

He insta-called, and I was actually a slight dog. (49/51)

Hero (t4375)
MP2 (t4215)
CO (t1735)
Button (t4015)
SB (t3860)
BB (t8258)
UTG (t2087)

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4075</font>, BB calls t2075.

Turn: (t8800) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t8800) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t8800

<font color="black">
Results:
Hero has Ah Ks (one pair, aces).
BB has Qc 5c (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins t8800. </font>

Regards,
Woodguy