Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: ($27) Raise size question

[ QUOTE ]
I think protecting your hand generally is more important in STTs than in ring games. I think that that is a consequence of each additional chip being worth less than the previous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.it's a very secondary or tertiary concept to what is really guiding your decision in other structures of poker too.

[/ QUOTE ]

"tertiary" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]You wouldn't know what a tertiary was if it slid outa your buttcrack coated in Baby Oil [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My tertiary plan for next week is to urinate all over your lawn and defecate inside of your mailbox.

You should hear what my primary and secondary plans are, [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stack 1700+ BB20 Site Stars bet 80. Calling that every time.
The more people in the pot before me the more I am calling. Stackage potential pre flop is large well relatively at least.

That is 80 chips put to good use. Risk what risk?, reward YAY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the limpers. I think you guys play on Party too much.

FWIW, if this was level 2 and the raise was to 120 I more likely to fold. I think it's a close call, but a call.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 PM

About 3/4 the total pot makes drawing to a striaght or a flush unprofitable.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM

PF is a call because it's Stars, IMO. You know the limpers are coming behind, too.

I like a raise to 500 ish on the flop and getting it in on the turn.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Why not just call? You've got position on three players willing to pump the pot for you. For t80 you can still get away from the hand on the turn if something ugly falls, but get some more value from it with a brick or T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The typical any-two-turbo-donk is calling an all-in here with two hearts which will hit his flush 35% of the time from here. Putting much more into the pot makes it incorrect for you to get away on the turn if a heart falls. If a non-heart turns, you've got a better chance at pricing the flush draw out with one card to fall.

I push the flop when I don't have a plan for the turn or am out of position.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF is a call because it's Stars, IMO. You know the limpers are coming behind, too.

I like a raise to 500 ish on the flop and getting it in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my exact line I IMed to durron...woot.

Then I argued with him for like 30 minutes about how I think he overplays pps in general. I think this is a fold for me a lot of the time...but I don't hate calling in this situation. It's getting quite close to what I'd call a clear fold. What bothers me is many people claiming it's an easy call here - leads me to believe they're willing to make worse calls in similar (but different) situations.

Oh..I should make it clear that while I don't hate calling...I still think folding preflop to the raise is best. Also, the reason 500 on the flop is good is b/c Durron doesn't want to jam it.

Yugoslav
Old 11-19-2005, 08:23 PM

Why is this close to a fold?

That you feal this is close to fold/is a fold worries me that you make worse folds in similar situations.

That said it is only about 40/60 chips from a fold. Thats is close, but in another sense it is far far away.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just call? You've got position on three players willing to pump the pot for you. For t80 you can still get away from the hand on the turn if something ugly falls, but get some more value from it with a brick or T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The typical any-two-turbo-donk is calling an all-in here with two hearts which will hit his flush 35% of the time from here. Putting much more into the pot makes it incorrect for you to get away on the turn if a heart falls. If a non-heart turns, you've got a better chance at pricing the flush draw out with one card to fall.

I push the flop when I don't have a plan for the turn or am out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is cash game thinking, I don't have time to wait to get the money in as a much bigger favorite on the turn vs. a flush draw; these chips that are in the pot already are very valuable to my stack and I don't mind winning it now.

Besides, I don't want to be giving free cards to any 9 or 7 either.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this close to a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of all the stuff talked about in that pp thread elsewhere on the front page that Irie dropped knowledge in.

Basically.....as we all know most of the time you miss your set and just fold. Fine. So the times you do hit you need to make enough chips to make it profitable. Well, more than ppl think u'll get little or no action.....then when u do get good action it's gonna be vs. a hand that can bust you on this type of board. You will stack some foo's but will also get stacked yourself more than you think.

Also, if you make any mistakes extracting value or dicking around then it easily become a significant leak.

Plus...my voice gets hoarse yelling 'LEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY mmJEEEEEEEEEEEENKINS!' when going allin after hitting set after set after set all day.

Yugoslav