Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Books

Just wanted to post here and get everyones thoughts on what you think is the best book(s) out there for high limit online poker. Aka the PS 100/200 game.

Holdem Poker for Advanced Players?

I mean I know there are alot of good books out there for high NL cash games, but what about high limit cash games?

Thoughts please.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Books

If you're playing 100/200 I'd take the time to read them all. All the good ones anyway.

"Theory of Poker" and "HPFAP" should be read way before you find yourself at 100/200. By then I'd be looking more towards "Inside the Poker Mind," "Ace on the River," and the various Poker Essays books by Mason. I would also read Caffione's "Middle Limit Holdem" and then disregard it.

-f
Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Yeah, read all those books, but you need to move way beyond them if you're going to beat this game.

In my opinion, the smallest games can be beaten if you just play properly pre-flop, which every book teaches and most do it right (except for Hellmouth's book)

Then the next level (probably up to 10/20) can be beaten with just proper mathematics. Again, you can learn this from books.

The next level then require more advanced strategic play (semi-bluffing, free card play, etc). And though the books teach this, you really need lots of practice to get the proper feel for when to use them.

But at the 1/2 level, the skills required cannot be taught in books:
hand-reading (you need to be excellent at this. People will make plays against you, you will have to decide when to play back, call down, fold, whatever).
Knowing your players (very important to hand-reading, but on top of it, this will help determine what his likely reaction will be: if I donk bet the turn, will he likely raise me? how likely is he to fold the river after calling the turn? etc. etc.
Varying your game depending on the moods of your opponents.
etc etc

As an aside, I find it amusing there is so much fear on the Net about the use of 'bots' in online poker. I say, bring em on. Anyone who can't beat a bot probably can't play worth a lick in the first place.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 AM

"running good for advanced players" is all you need
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Personally, I thought "Running Good for Loose Aggressive Players" was much more helpful.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

[/ QUOTE ]

www.youaregay.com
Old 10-12-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also read Caffione's "Middle Limit Holdem" and then disregard it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a player in our area, who plays in our local tournaments and cash ring games, and he was perusing this very book last night, that I happened to bring to the game.

He stated that the hands in Ciaffone's & Brier's book, play out the way they state in the 80/160 game he plays at the Borgata in Atlantic City. This is assuming you are in a typical game with typical players found in that game.

He stated that the book, by itself, will not make you a winning player, however, he has never seen it before and said he was going to order from Amazon, even though from he had read last night, there was nothing in it he didn't already know. He loved the format of the book, and, believes the read will give him ideas.