Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Hand to discuss: Too aggressive or just right?

Background: Big blind sees every flop. She's quite the jerk type of stiffy type of unpleasant person. She's also very passive preflop (never raises) but virtually ALWAYS bets after the flop, either on the flop, turn, river, or all three, whether she has a hand or not. Rarely raises post flop. I'm not fond of her, to say the least.

Next character is Mr. LAG preflop, total moron post-flop. Raises at least 40% preflop, maybe more. He can't ALWAYS have aces. Behaves in a bizzare fashion post flop.

So there's a limper or two, and right on cue, LAG raises. I cold call on the button with KQo, BB comes along for the ride, five players.

Flop KQ2 rainbow. BB bets, folded to LAG, he raises, I cold call, BB calls, rest are out.

Turn is a three, putting two flush on board. BB checks. LAG-boy goes to bet, then changes his mind and checks. I of course bet. BB calls. Now LAG-boy check-raises me. I three-bet it. BB calls and LAG calls too.

River is an offsuit four (board is KQ234 rainbow). BB BETS out, LAG-boy calls, I RAISE.

Results to follow.

al
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Results

Please do not read these results until you have made your case on the hand..............

not yet

did you decide about the hand yet.....

are you sure?

VERY sure?

not just skipping to the end like a lazy ass bum?

Cuz you know I'll kick you in the nuts if you do....

ok, the results...

The both called. I turned up my hand. BB showed ACE-FOUR-OFFSUIT. LAG-boy chunked it without showing.

al
Old 07-17-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Hand to discuss: Too aggressive or just right?

Preflop I hate to coldcall with offsuit hands ever, even against a LAG, but with other players in its tough to isolate so I guess its OK. I think I personally just fold.

Flop is good, strong hand, drawless board and morons who will bet and call the turn most of the time.

Turn I think is standard, the LAG is representing pretty much nothing and you almsot certainly still have the best hand.

The river is really the only place of question I think. Since A5 is the only hand that would make a straight that is reasonably betting the flop [cant see 67 or 62 betting] and its either that or a set that beats you, I think you are good here enough. There is a decent chance she is just taking a stab at a large pot or that she improved to worse two pair. I like the raise and, although it will be tough to call if she 3bets, you most likely have to in this large pot, but I don't expect her to very often at all.

So basically I think I like it the whole way through given the reads except for pf. The flop I may consider 3betting but either one is good.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 PM

How loose were the limpers? If they were capable of folding when it's 2 more back to them, I like 3-betting the LAG with KQo. Aside from that, nice hand.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Your preflop cold call is horrible. Your flop cold call is horrible, that is not a board that you aren't going to get action on, however, its also a board where your hand can be fairly vulnerable.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:04 PM

I had this is my head before I read the results....

I think cold calling there was fine, considering LAG with raise with anything. A 3 bet to isolate is better, but BB calls anything preflop.

I like calling with top two pair here, this is a strong hand, very very low texture, and just a stight draw on the board, no flush etc. I like calling because I can raise on the turn when BB/andor/ LAG bets or raises again, which happened, which works good.
Turn raise is beautiful, flushes only have about 18% chance to hit flush on river.

River played perfectly.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:05 PM

I like it EDIT: except for preflop. I just don't understand wtf was going on here.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:38 PM

I would have raised PF with your hand. If BB still wants to come along thats fine, you could easily have a hand that dominates both the LAG, and BB. On the flop after the bet from the BB, and raise form LAG, I would defiantly raise. I think you played the rest of the hand fine.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:09 PM

Raise the flop every time. Some could even argue for raising preflop, though I understand the call. No need to trap or get tricky. When opponents like putting money into the pot, make them.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Results

Funny how I discussed this at the WPDG and got VERY mixed answers, everything from Super-Genius to Super-Magoo. Basically the same deal here, very mixed opinions on how I did, and how I should have played it.

In my mind, I played it to maximize the size of the end pot, figuring from the flop on that I would have the winner at the end. The precise opponents I was against influenced me to think I was taking the best course of action, at least at the time. It is of course debatable tho, which is why I posted it here.

Good responses everyone, keep 'em comin'.

al