Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Problems playing with pro\'s

I put myself up on the list to play my usual 8/16 game and when they called me to the table I ran into one of the people that I frequently play with. He said that the game I was headed to was full of pro’s waiting to get into the 30/60 game and that he was just there and got out of the game. I said OK will find out if I can hang with these guys. Needless to say I lost 2½ racks in 4 hours.

Here are some of the problem hands for me.

I am in BB with K2 suited hearts.
Some one in EP calls, MP raises, MP calls, SB calls, I call, and EP calls
5 people in pot.

Flop comes back Ah 6s 8h

EP bets (this player will bet all draws), MP two bets, MP+1 three bets, I call, EP calls and MP calls.

Turn is a 6 pairing the board.

It is checked to MP+1 who bets and I stupidly call and EP also calls and MP folds.

River is the 2 of hearts.

EP bets, MP+1 two bets and I call knowing full well MP+1 has a boat and EP calls.

MP+1 shows A6
EP has 9hTh

Where should I have got away from this. I think it was OK to call from BB with 5 people in. But was 3 small bets two many to call on the flop when it was likely that MP+1 had a set. Certainly I blew when I called on the turn when board was paired and I was drawing dead.

Another hand I was also in BB

I have AJo in BB

Folded to MP who raises everyone folds to me and I call.

Flop comes back AA9

I bet and MP raises.

Turn is a 5 and I check call.

River is a K and I check call.

MP has AK and I lose again.

Also when I am in EP or EP+1. Is it wise to try limping in with hands like Q9s, 76s, T9s, KJo, ATo when the pot will be raised 35-50% of the time.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Problems playing with pro\'s

You are stuck in Hand one no folding,unless preflop, but I would bet the river. In hand 2 It would be fine to give a little more action also I mean you have the best hand here a huge percent of the time. Don't limp those hands in aggressive games.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 PM

AJo is not a call from the BB when a solid player raises in MP. It isnt' for me at least.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also when I am in EP or EP+1. Is it wise to try limping in with hands like Q9s, 76s, T9s, KJo, ATo when the pot will be raised 35-50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I think the answer to this is always no. At this table it is definitely no. You should hone your skills at a softer game before playing in a game like this.

Use better table selection next time. Maybe watch the game a little before sitting down, to see if there are enough fish that can balance out some of the pros.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in BB with K2 suited hearts.
River is the 2 of hearts.

Where should I have got away from this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have gotten away on the river when the 2nd 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hit. Then again, I don't like playing in rigged games.

jvs
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'm never limping these in early position.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'm never limping these in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in a soft game I'm ditching all of these hands up front. If the game is as described by OP, I'm folding a lot better hands than this.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:15 PM

When you're playing with strong thinking players, it's fine to simply never open-limp (unless you really know what you're doing and actively mix it up). Certainly don't open-limp the hands you suggested in this game (or most games, FWIW).

Your limp encourages a raise in these games, when you have to play a weak hand out of position against a strong player.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:37 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i'm only responding to the limping question: HELL NO!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Did you have trouble spotting the fish at the table? You must not have had a mirror with you. Why were you calling with such crap in early position? Play tighter against good players, they're pros because they know how to make you pay the maximum.