Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: When is a nut peddler not a nut peddler?

hence I advocated pushing the flop. You let him take control of that hand. When you checked on the turn, all he had to do is bet and you're folding since you would be convinced that you're beat. Then you allowed him to value bet his hand on the river. You made a crying call when you knew damn well he outdrew you.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM

Also he made a substantial raise, in many cases hoping to push you out of the pot. If he had a set...he might do the miniraise or go to $30 or something, not wanting to push you out.

It's always hard to tell for sure though. I usually like to get away from things like this until I know what the player is like.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 PM

It's a kick ass semibluff, it works because if you get called you have outs. In this situation the donkey with the 5-2s is thinking that he has nine diamonds to make a flush(he doesn't know hero has Ad) and three cards to complete his gutshot which gives him almost a 50/50 shot to win (I think it's like 48% or 49% to make his hand, I suck at math). So, he has an escape hatch if called. I use this move quite often. However, you also need to figure in things like stack sizes and whether your out are clean, etc.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Those bastards usually just call the bet on the flop and wait until the river to raise/bet if checked to when they flop a set, which to me is stupid. I like to stack them right then and there. I'm praying to God he has AA or AK in this situation and I flopped a set because he's going to lose his stack right now. Although, I can see how you could think he flopped a set, he led into the raiser, who called him. Then gave the raiser some more rope to hang himself, i.e. checked the turn, then value bet the river. I would've bet the turn, however. I think OP has to fold after checking the turn, he's shown too much weakness. I would have bet the turn not being able to sell the hand on the river, however, villan here was able to sell his hand and the OP paid him off. I still do not understand that river call.