Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Default AQ vs. SLAG

Villain is slightly loose, very aggressive (30/20/3.0). He seems to be a solid player who's only weakness is that he goes to showdown just a bit too often (27%).

I, on the other hand, am in the middle of what will turn to be one of my worst down-swings ever. For the last 300 hands or so on this table I've only been flopping weak-marginal hands or draws which don't come in. As a result, I've been forced to fold to aggression much more than I like, and my table image is probably tight-weak. I'm fairly certain the fish are taking shots at me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($242)
BB ($198)
UTG ($200)
MP ($375.40)
Hero ($197)
Button ($194)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $8.

Flop: ($27) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, MP calls $20.

Turn: ($67) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($67) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $137

In hind-sight I think the check-through on the turn was a mistake. I'll admit that when this hand played out, I didn't see the straight draw, although I have to say that even if I saw it, I'm not sure that J8 is in villain's range of raising hands.

On the river, given my table image and villain's aggression, I think the call is manditory, and I might even allow myself to be convinced that a raise is better.

So, how should I have really played this?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: AQ vs. SLAG

i would lead the turn with a 2/3 pot bet.

if he bet the river i'd call, and if he didn't i'd pot it.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 PM

In hind-sight, I agree. A bet on the turn here, is required and might have taken down the pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:22 PM

A couple of minor points. I switched to 6-max about two months ago and went to 2+2 FAQ for SSH help. I discovered that 6-Max Tight is &lt;33, and Loose is &gt;46. So I've got this player a TA-A.

Second, whenever an Ace flops there is always a straight draw.

OK, the hand. To start with at 6-Max and full ring I think a limp raise means "I'm on some kind of draw and if I hit the flop I want there to be some more money in there". Per Brunson "you should never lose your stack in an unraised pot".

So what kind of draw is he on that he'll limp re-raise with? I don't know, KJos, JTos, QTos?? The J8os would not be in my hand range, and I wouldn't think J8s would be worth a limp re-raise for a player with these stats.

So, how do you play a villain on a draw? You take away his implied odds! You make Big Bets. Villain thinks he's on a 2-1 draw when actually he has to make it on the turn or he goes to 4-1, and he's 4-1 to make it on the turn. You want villain to draw, just to draw with incorrect odds.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... whenever an Ace flops there is always a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line in your post is very true. After this, it gets a little sketchy.

Limp raise = the preflop minraise to $4? And I don't see a limp reraise anywhere here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Sorry I mis-spoke myself. Not a limp re-raise (not sure what that would be) but a min-raise or what I call a limp raise.

As for the rest, not sure how to reply. The whole concept of being on a draw is not just the pot odds, but the implied odds involved. A call may be incorrect given the pot odds, but if a player thinks he can get your stack, or a piece of your stack, then the question becomes how much more does the drawer have to get from you if he hits his draw? The fact if you hit you will get paid off is the thing that makes calling a bet with a draw with incorrect pot odds the correct play, i.e. +EV.

So take away the implied odds and a call becomes incorrect or -EV.

The best example is when a player calls a push he has no implied odds. The money in the pot is all he can get so a call becomes correct based on just the pot odds.