Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Default TPTK check-raises the flop and gets called

Villain is TAG, although he plays a bit on the passive side preflop. He's very aggressive post flop, but focuses on the flop and turn. If he's still getting action by the river, he shuts down. His WSD is only 16%, and I've been able to bully him out of several pots, sometimes with complete bluffs. I never show my hands when I take down a pot like this, so he doesn't know for sure if I have the goods or not.

Stat wise, after 200 hands, he's 22/5.3/3.0. AF by street: flop - 1.8, turn - 4.0, river - 0. I have the break down by street displayed on my HUD, so those stats were taken into consideration as the hand played out.

Stacks:
Hero - 222
UTG - 202

Prima 1/2 6-max <font color="blue"> 5 players </font>
Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG <font color="red"> raises to $8 </font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds

($18) Flop <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets $16, Hero <font color="red"> raises to $40 </font>, UTG calls

($98) Turn <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero........?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: TPTK check-raises the flop and gets called

i think youre looking at an overpair here.. be careful
Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Why are you bluffing with this hand?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is TAG, although he plays a bit on the passive side preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you bluffing with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing? TPTK with a BDFD isn't exactly a bluff. That being said I'm behind at least 50% of the hands that villain would raise PF with (probably more like 70%), so I may be behind, and if not, I'm vulnerable.

As for why I played such a weak hand so aggressively, villain has consitantly folded to my aggression, especially heads up, even when he raised PF. Up until this hand I've been completely running over him.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 PM

fold pre-flop
Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 PM

I agree with everyone who has said to fold this preflop precisely for this reason. You have checkraised and now have to play the next two streets OOP. I would have opted to lead and fold to a raise, but since you opted to check raise and got called, I think it's time to go into check/fold mode. I would say you are beat here 95% of the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everyone who has said to fold this preflop precisely for this reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The PF call was a mistake. My reason for calling this was because of how villain was reacting to me. I am not exaggerating when I say I had somewhere near 90% fold equity heads up against him. That being said, villain didn't know I would be the only caller when he made his raise from UTG. I should have taken that into consideration, along with his general PF passiveness, when I called. Just got into too much of a hurry.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have opted to lead and fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this, but I figured that if there was a 70% chance he'd fold to a lead bet there was a 100% chance he'd fold to the check-raise. And I'd collect some extra money from him. Maybe I got too greedy.

[ QUOTE ]
since you opted to check raise and got called, I think it's time to go into check/fold mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I did.

One other possibility I considered when this hand played out was that he realized I was pushing him around and decided to make a stand with A high. However I decided that if that was the case, then it was time for me to show him a few real hands to scare him a little before I went back into bully mode.