Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Online 40/80 -- value betting AK high on the river

Good value bet or bad?

Paradise Poker 40/80 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, . . .
Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Online 40/80 -- value betting AK high on the river

I like it. I expect to see AK or AQ. Any pair he bets river I'ld like to think
Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Cap preflop, and take the river showdown.

-blake

Note: This is a hand where you valuebet against a guy you have a read on, not somebody you have no read on. You gotta know what a c/r means etc.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Truth -- reasonable line, but can we think about the river situation given my actual plays earlier in the hand?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:41 PM

since you played the hand in suck a way as to win the minimum, you now have a clear value bet on the river... pretty obvious AK is good here, so bet.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good value bet or bad?

Paradise Poker 40/80 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
To me alot depends on your opponent. For example lets say the villain has a hand like 77,88,99 and lets also assume he didnt hit a set on the turn or river. He may still check these type of hands or any pair on the river since he may believe that you will not call him if you he bets. Given the fact that you checked the turn, and the villian also still checked the river, I think its still dangerous to value bet here becuz if the villain is aware he knows you probably have an ace high type hand or a broken draw, and if he has a pair he will check it and induce a bluff since the flush draw missed. If I was the villain and I had a pair, and you raised the flop and checked the turn and the flush missed the river, I am checking here almost every time since I believe you will bet more hands than you would call with in this spot. So to answer your initial question, I believe you should check it down with your AK. Checking on the end becomes even more correct if the villain is capable of bluff checkraising the river.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Good bet. When he checks the second time, he's passing on a golden opportunity to bluff. He probably then has a made hand. He's also passing on an opportunity to value bet, so it's unlikely he has an overpair. What hands don't bluff and aren't overpairs and 3-bet preflop? AQ, maybe AJ.

Further, he will call with these hands, hoping to snap off a bluff from a missed flush draw. It's rarely right to value bet AK unimproved on the river closing the action, but I like it here.

-Eric
Old 10-07-2005, 10:08 PM

There's value in this bet. I would like to think he'd bet any pair on the river, so, I like it.

cheers.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's value in this bet. I would like to think he'd bet any pair on the river, so, I like it.

cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
An aware player would check if he had a pair on the river.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:57 AM

If he'll call you with AQ or AJ (don't see him ever calling with K high, but then again I don't know him) then do it, otherwise just check it behind. If he doesn't call with A high why bother? But I suck at holdem so don't listen to me.