Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default How do I get the most $ out of this guy who thinks I\'m an idiot?

This is UB's $44 NLHE MTT and we're into the second hour. I've been at this table for a while but I've only showdown two hands - both of them as the SB playing HU against the short BB. In the first hand I PFR and then called the BB's overpush with A/Jo - and he showed me the same A/Jo and we tied. The second hand I made a horrible call with bottom pair after limping in with 7/9o against the BB hoping to take it on the flop. I bet the pot (very small bet though b/c it only had 2 BBs in it), and then proceeded to call his small push on a flop of K/J/7 - a horrible call by me, I know, and i lost the hand. SO... the villian in the hand below berated me for that call with my pair of 7s and I'm sure he wrote something like "absolute idiot" in his notes for me. Now the hand:

(I apologize for being unable to find a converter for UB HHs)
Hand #8725272-85 at Sat2pmA-002 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 01/Oct/05 15:19:23

pmerrick1 is at seat 1 with 5940.
wawa035 is at seat 2 with 590.
CokeandRum is at seat 3 with 2640.
Big Tef is at seat 4 with 1805.
milo6405 is at seat 5 with 1950.
GangSarge is at seat 6 with 5520.
ligoson is at seat 7 with 10790.
corkykim is at seat 9 with 1430.
The button is at seat 4.

milo6405 posts the small blind of 50.
GangSarge posts the big blind of 100.

pmerrick1: -- --
wawa035: -- --
CokeandRum: -- --
Big Tef: Kc Kd
milo6405: -- --
GangSarge: -- --
ligoson: -- --
corkykim: -- --

Pre-flop:

ligoson folds. corkykim folds. pmerrick1 calls.
wawa035 folds. CokeandRum folds. Big Tef raises to
450. milo6405 folds. GangSarge folds. pmerrick1
calls.

Flop (board: 6d Ks 5c):

pmerrick1 checks. Big Tef ??? .

Okay - so I checked here, and I think some of you will disagree with this (which is fine - I want to hear about it if you think I messed up). I checked here because I thought there is almost no way he can catch me on the next card - there's no flush draw yet, and the cards that make this a straight draw are unlikely to have called my PFR. So I figured I'd check here and then bet out the turn hoping that villian would have something by then and put me on a steal. I normally would have bet this, but since I knew this guy pegged me as a fish, I thought I could make more $ if I made it look more like a steal on the turn.

Turn (board: 6d Ks 5c 7d):

pmerrick1 checks. Big Tef bets ???

I've got 1355 behind and the pot is 1050. What do you do here to get him to call you but not make it cheap enough to give him odds on a possible straight or flush draw?

How do I stack this guy when I likely have the best hand and he thinks I'm an idiot?

thanks,

ts-
Old 10-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: How do I get the most $ out of this guy who thinks I\'m an idiot?

If he thinks you are an idiot, then do like an idiot would do. minbet the flop. Wouldn't look out of line here, and he would probably call that. On the turn, you can make another idiotlike bet which might get called down, either minbet or a push, depending if you think he would call. That, or push the flop and hope he calls anyways.

Honestly though, you got all the good cards in your hand, and there probably isnt a card that can help your opponent, so no matter what you do, you probably won't get more action unless he thinks that you are weak. Checking behind on the flop might set off bells in his head.

Really, I can't think of anything that could extract more chips here than minbetting, so I say do that til the river and hope he hits something that can't beat you by then, or go all in and pray he thinks its weakness and he calls.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I'd underbet the flop and go from there. Looks like a continuation bet that you're willing to get away from if raised. Check behind is very suspicious. Start building the pot, price him in to chase and catch, I guess.

You can't get his stack if he doesn't have anything.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 PM

Ahh [insert sound of me slapping myself in the forehead]! Yeah, the minbet here would have been perfect. I have a feeling the villian is the type of guy who hates min bets and min raises and he might come back over the top just out of spite. I think min betting the flop and then betting 1/2 pot or so when the turn comes in giving a straight draw is a good line.

thanks,

ts-
Old 10-01-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can't get his stack if he doesn't have anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I checked behind - hoping he would catch something that he would pay me off with. But you're right, the more I think about it, the more I like a small bet on the flop. Especially a bet so small that it would be interpreted by this guy who already thinks I'm a donk as a weak continuation bet and that I would fold to a healthy check-raise.

thanks for the feedback,
ts-