Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 11:18 PM

Default High-Low Books

What are the best books about Omaha Hi-Low and 7-stud Hi-low? I figured Ray Zee's 2+2 book on the subjects would be the best, but the amazon.com reviews make me think otherwise. thx for all replies.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Re: High-Low Books

I attribute my success in $5/$10 stud hi/lo entirely to continuous rereading of Ray Zee's book.

If there's anything else on the subject that comes close, I'd like to know about it.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:51 PM

Ray's book is all you'll ever need to beat most high-low split games. I consider it to be the strongest of the "Advanced Players" series, and that's saying something. It should pay for itself in about ten hours in a $.50 home game.

What are they saying on Amazon? That his grammar is even worse than Sklansky's?
Old 04-24-2003, 01:19 AM

thx for the recommendations. i'll probably pickup ray zee's book soon. maybe the amazon guys didn't want anyone else making money off zee's book...hmmm. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Ray Zee is the only way to go

Or you can check out Sklansky's chapter in Doyle Brunsons Super System book.

Don't believe the reviews. Ray Zee's book is the best out there.

Of course, I am on the payroll. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Default voice of dissent

Sorry, but I disagree with the other posters. I thought Ray's book was terrible. (Sorry Ray) I thought it really cheapened the Advanced Player series. There is no talk of anything concrete. No list anywhere of the most basic question--What is a good starting hand in Omaha? Yes, we all can figure out that AA23 is good, but how about the second best hand.

I love hilo split, and I read it because I will read anything I can on the game. The book was better than nothing... but not much.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: voice of dissent

Well, if you need to be spoon-fed, then no, Ray Zee's book isn't for you. Poker probably isn't for you, either. No, there aren't hand rankings like there are in HP4AP. For one thing, there are too many possible combinations. For another, it really isn't necessary or desirable. You want hands that are highly coordinated and can make the nuts. It does say that in there, doesn't it? A2 is a nice combination to have, but it doesn't make a hand automatically playable. He says that too, doesn't he?

What does it matter what the second-best hand in Omaha/8 is anyway? It might be A234 or AA24 or AK23 or something else. I don't know, and I don't care--I'm going to play all of those hands in any position for any amount anyway. Does the relative ranking of JJ and AKs affect how you play those? There are no hand rankings in 7CS4AP; does that cheapen the Advanced Series as well?

Ray doesn't spell out what to do with every kind of hand you might get dealt. He does tell you what to consider when deciding whether to play a hand and how to play it. I think that this a superior approach. I've made a decent chunk of change because of Ray's book. Anybody who reads their copy as much as I have mine should do well.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: voice of dissent

thanks andy,

i try to write so it makes one think, and not just give a list of things to do. that doesnt work in poker except at the most basic games full of fools as you well know. if those that buy the book dont want to take the time to understand the game, and just want to read it on the toilet for a quick course and become an expert, then i failed at their desire.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:53 PM

"amazon.com reviews" Read the reviews here and then decide. The only drawback for Zee's book that I've read is that it is not Methodical. If you play for any amount of time and keep playing Methodical you will lose your ass. He makes you think as he think's (which is scary in itself) but rereading and studying the book you come to appreciate the depth and weight of the knowledge in the book by going over and over the readings.

paul
Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Ray Zee is the only way to go

Sklansky's chapter in S/S is certainly worth reading, but stud/8 and the old game without the qualifier are very different games.