Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Default 2/4 6-Max : Waste of Set or prudent move?

SB in this hand has been re-raising a fair bit pre-flop (from late position or blinds) and taking down pots uncontested (when limpers or <3x BB raises)... he does it again here... Early position player seems solid...

I have been consistently hitting terrible turn cards and facing difficult decisions so I decide to take the other route here... standard 'raise pot' or total waste of a set?

$400 NL Texas Hold'em
(6 max) (Real Money)

Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Big Blind ( $1033.24 )
Seat 3: Not Involved 2 ( $186.64 )
Seat 5: Hero ( $326 )
Seat 2: Seat 2 ( $376.50 )
Seat 4: Not Involved 3 ( $358.90 )
Seat 6: High PFR% Guy ( $396 )
High PFR% Guy posts small blind [$2].
Big Blind posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 6s 6c ]
Seat 2 raises [$8].
Not Involved 2 folds.
Not Involved 3 folds.
Hero calls [$8].
High PFR% Guy raises [$23].
Big Blind folds.
Seat 2 calls [$17].
Hero calls [$17].
** Dealing Flop ** [ J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ] Pot at $73
High PFR% Guy checks.
Seat 2 bets [$35].
Hero is all-In [$301]

standard?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 2/4 6-Max : Waste of Set or prudent move?

Thats a scary board for your set.

What abt his flop play. Does he always bet out or reraise and take down the pot? I dont know If anyone sees merit in just calling this bet and wait for High PFR to make a move. read dependent IMO. If it ends up as a heads up against the solid seat 2 guy, its probably a waste of set.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Considering you are not going to get away from this hand with less than 100 BBs, I really like this move. Because it is such a draw heavy board, it is highly likely one of the players will put you on a draw and make a "big" call with an overpair or TPTK. If one of them has a set so be it, you are not folding anyways. In addition though, to keep making this play profitable in the long run, you are also going to have to push some big draws and mix up your play to get called with sets in the future.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 AM

What abt his flop play. Does he always bet out or reraise and take down the pot?

not much info on that...

I just thought that the pot is starting to get big -- $143 if I call -- and turn card could get me into very tricky spot (ten or club) and I just can't let them see a cheap turn card so I have to raise. Then I tried to think of the right raise... I want to overbet this on the flop to not lay implied odds for a catch on the turn that will leave me sick....

I have good equity here vs a flush draw but given the pot size and if 3 players go to the turn, a flush draw isn't making a big mistake if I don't raise significantly...

also, I am hoping SB has AQ KK AA and puts me on flush draw...