Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Going to war HU with flopped TP...

Foxwoods 5-10...opponent seems like your basic twentysomething, "tries to play well" kind of player. However, I don't have much of a read except that he seems kind of tight, as he hasn't played too many hands in the 3-4 orbits he's been at the table. And he may well think I'm tight also, since I had been card dead for the prior hour.

UTG calls, and it's folded around to me in the BB where I check with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG raises, I reraise, UTG calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG raises, I call.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check with the intention of checkraising...
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Going to war HU with TP...

I would play it the same way.

Also I ask, Do people get ticked that you sandbag 'em on the river? No question I would do it if I saw the chance, but do people play harder against you or even verbally abuse you if you sandbag 'em on the river?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Going to war HU with flopped TP...

Do you intend to pay off a river 3-bet?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 PM

UTG has actually shown quite a bit of strength in this hand, on a board that's more likely to hit someone who got a free play in the BB than a tight UTG limper.

Let's see, though. Here are some possibilities:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
a fastplayed set
an unimproved overpair to the flop such as 99 or TT
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

For some of these possibilities, it really depends on how tricky he is, and we don't really know. But if he's tricky enough to raise the turn with a weak/marginal made hand either because he also has a strong draw or because he wants to try to represent the queen, then I am a little worried he'll take the free showdown.

Also, I don't know what suited Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hands he'd limp with UTG. But maybe a hand like K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] isn't a raise for him, and maybe he plays Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP.

If he just has hearts and picked up a gutshot on the turn, though, possibly he'll fire one last time when he wouldn't have called. Edit: Ugh. Scratch that. If he picked up a gutshot, he hit his hand or made a pair of jacks. (And if he just made a pair of jacks, I'm wondering if he'd be tempted to take the showdown instead of betting. I guess probably he'd value-bet instead. But would he call the checkraise?)

I don't know. Those are just some thoughts. After finally clearing my bonus tonight by playing 1/2 6-max and getting clobbered on the river a couple of times, I'm probably a little more timid right now than I should be. And, also, I'm pretty sure I don't checkraise the river enough.

One thing that would make me hesitate here is that I want to see a showdown with my two pair hand in a pot that began heads-up, and I don't want to pay three bets to do it. I suspect folding instead if the checkraise got 3-bet could be the sensible play, but I might have trouble making it.

So I guess that's my long-winded way of saying I don't know what's best.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM

I think it is a close play between just checking and calling and going for the checkraise. This guy is representing a set. He clearly wants some action from you since he just called the flop 3-bet and raised the turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Looks like he missed a lrr and wanted to raise you on every street? I might bet and 3-bet the river. Would suck it he 4-bet, cuz you'd have to call.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like he missed a lrr and wanted to raise you on every street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Yeah, that is possible.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Just call down from the flopraise, you dont want to blow him off something worse here.

I´d fold the turn the way you played. Qxh,55,33,88,AQ,KQ,big pair all beats you, I´m not sure what you are hoping to be against.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:02 AM

I don't like the river. I think after the flop his turn seems like a classic raise to see a free showdown, possibly with a hand like 99/TT that he doesn't feel is going to improve but could certainly be good. I think almost any hand that feels it is good here is going to raise a river bet anyway.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:20 AM

A checkraise on the river is fine, but you need to be prepared to fold to a 3-bet.

It would take alot of balls to 3-bet you on the river with a hand that couldn't beat Jacks up and in fact, I think he may only call the checkraise with alot of hands that you can't beat like Queens up.

A river checkraise screams "I have a really good hand!" and a river 3-bet screams "That's nice and I just pwned you!" Checkraise for value but also fold and save a bet.