Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Making the switch

So I'm sure there are other forums I could post this in here, but I'm mostly looking for input from people who have been playing NL SnGs and that is why I'm posting here. Sorry if I'm already ruining the quality this brand new forum, but I think there are others in similar situations and this might help them as well.

At some point in the near future I'm going to head down to Foxwoods and play in the Sunday morning no limit tourney and then I plan on hanging around for a while and playing some cash games. The problem being 95% of my playing has been in online SnG's at levels between $5 and $20, so I will be out of my element.

I have been playing in (and winning at) a biweekly home game that plays a lot of limit and is populated by people who have played in the $2-$4 at FW. So that leads to my first question, with $200 set aside for the cash games should I shoot for the $2-$4 or is that enough for the $4-$8? The people in my homegame are pretty bad and if they are typical of the $2-$4 crowd I would be a happy guy.

My second question and the main reason I am posting this here as opposed to the B&M or small stakes forum, is what are the most important things for a winning NL SnG player to look out for when playing in a live limit game for the first time? I have read, Super System and HPFAP and I plan on taking a look through the small stakes forum, anything else I should do? Any input is welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Making the switch

At my local 2-4, the standard buyin is $40; sometimes less. The dealers give players sh** if they buyin for $80 or more. $200 should be enough to last you six hours or more with a very bad run of cards.

My local also has an obscene rake structure, including the bad beat drop and dealer toke. About $3-4 comes out of every hand that wouldn't have come out online. Even if you do well at 2-4, you won't be taking home much.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:49 PM

I would feel reasonably comfortable with 200 to start in 4-8 though you might want to consider having a 200 back up if the stuff hits the fan.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:27 PM

Just a tip, not sure if you've played the Foxwoods tourney recently, but be there by quarter of 7 at the latest or you may miss out...I drove down a few weeks ago and was late. 200 should be more than enough for the 4-8 game, and the rake % isn't quite as bad. Also, put your name on the list before the tourney starts as there is usually a 2-3 hour wait on sunday morning's for low limit games.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the tip, havent played the FW tourney ever. After thinking about it I'm leaning towards driving down at like 2 am from Boston and play cash game before the tourney to make sure I don't get shut out.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 AM

PM me during the week before you head down and maybe we can meet up. I haven't hit the Sunday tourney in a while. Next week, of course, is out for obvious reasons.