Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Something I just don\'t get

I'm still in my "Newb" and learning phase, but the last couple nights I have seen a few players do this and I just don't get it. Should I be reading anything into it? or is it just stupidity?

Example.

.5/1 PLO on pokerroom - 10 seated

UTG -limps
UTG +1 - Folds
EP1 - Limps
MP1 - Folds
MP2 - Limps
LP - Limps
Co-1 - Min Raise to $1

I just don't get the min raise here? your not going to thin the field, and you open it up for an early player to re-raise. Is there any "Smart" thinking why a late player would do this?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Something I just don\'t get

Min raising is pretty dumb usually. However it's not a completely awful idea to effectively double the size of the pot if you are in LP, have a playable hand and there's not a lot of limp-reraising going on. That way the pots are bigger when you're in a favourable position but you're not giving much about your hand away.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 AM

I do that occasionally, with good hands that play well after the flop. most of the time, you build the pot like you want to, occasionally you get reraised. Whether or not it's a good play depends on the table texture, I guess. I rarely see limp-reraises from other people, even though it's my favorite way of playing aces.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 AM

if he has a good hand and doesn't mind a re-raise. most people will probably still see the flop now and he has built a nice pot with a better hand then probably all the other limpers had.

blubster
Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 AM

I guess my wondering behind this is that no hand is a big favorite vs. the field pre-flop in Omaha. I think we all know this though.

So by min raising, you still need to hit your hand perfectly in order to take advantage of it. I think more times are are building the pot for someone else to take it. in late position, I seem to want to put in a good sized raise pre-flop so i can thin the field when I have a premium hand.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:35 AM

Some of your premium hands play very well against a field of limpers. Some you want to get heads up with. Thus to effectively raise the stakes when you have a premium hand that plays well multiway is a good thing. This is correct, experienced posters?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:38 AM

Yah but it's for when you don't have a premium hand, just a playable one. It's more about the fact that you are playing bigger pots in position than out of position; ie you are playing for more money in a more advantageous situation. I haven't thought it through enough to decide whether it really gives you an advantage (after all, you're investing twice as much). Also, on the flop sometimes people will check to the preflop raiser, expecting him to bet, even if you've only made a pathetic min raise (and I;ve often seen preflop minraisers autobet the pot when checked to on teh flop, which is ridiculous). If you see people doing this, then you might want to min-raise every hand you play in position as this gives you a pretty big advantage (you can take loads of free turns if you desire).
Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 AM

That's really interesting. I always think it's funny when people think about omaha in a hold'em mindset. That is, when I don't do it myself. Checking to the preflop minraiser, or autobetting as the preflop minraiser, is certainly an example of such thinking.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:19 AM

These are the people that are easy to pick on in an Omaha Game, and what makes PLO so profitable. The regulars all seem to just trade pots until we take them off those who don't get the game.

The other night I was in a pot with a guy with AA22 (double suited). I had QJT8 (single suited). The flop came something like J79 - rainbow. He continued to jam it, and I took him for like $40.

My other favorite is those who see a board of say 88665, hold the 8 and think they have the full house.