Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Default These umpires are UNBELIEVABLE

Another HUGE blown call with catcher's interference, difference between end of inning and bases loaded, one out. I see the whole crew has a big bet on CWS this series. [censored] unreal. Why do I even watch this stuff? Can't umpires be even a little competent and less obviously giving CWS these games?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: These umpires are UNBELIEVABLE

also - it's a good thing they didnt really call the runner out on the pickoff attempt at first, so that he could come around to score and all
Old 10-15-2005, 09:45 PM

No kidding. I want to see some CWS fan come on here and defend THOSE calls and say they were inconsequential. I think MLB should pay attention to these umps' bank accounts for a few weeks. Nothing like having to beat the other team and the umps at the same time.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:51 PM

Old 10-15-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to see some CWS fan come on here and defend THOSE calls and say they were inconsequential

[/ QUOTE ]

They were inconsequential [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Okay maybe not. The pickoff was horrible and the ump shoulda seen that. The interference was easily missable. You can only see it on replay. The ump can't really see it. He can't hear it because the bat is hitting the ball. And the Angels didn't even really argue it or try to sell it. Despite the calls and controversy the Sox have totally outplayed LA since game one. The starting pitching has been phenominal. If Guererro was a Yankee there would be an 8000 post thread in sporting events annoiting him the biggest bust of all time.

Don't fight destiny, GO WHITEOX!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The interference was easily missable. You can only see it on replay. The ump can't really see it. He can't hear it because the bat is hitting the ball. And the Angels didn't even really argue it or try to sell it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, mrb, you aren't being at all objective here. How could the ump miss it? Was he looking somewhere OTHER than where the ball was at, which would lead him to directly watch Finley's bat hit Pierzynski's glove? Was he distracted by some hot chick in center field or a butterfly or something? Come on, he missed it and was clearly wrong. Interesting how one ump can hear something that didn't happen, and another doesn't hear something that he clearly should have heard.

Moreover, I didn't know that it was Finley's obligation to "sell" the call--isn't the ump just supposed to get it right? If Finley runs down to 1st hard, he beats the double play easily. He argued the call (correctly) and got screwed doubly because he was out at first.

You are officially being a homer with all of these calls.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could the ump miss it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the catcher is in front of him. Also as the announcers noted, he pulled the ball which should be extremly difficult if he hit the glove. I am a non-traditionalist when it comes to umpiring. I would like to see replays and totally computerized strike zones. All umps suck in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
You are officially being a homer with all of these calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was 5 years old last time they were in the World Series. They haven't won since 1917. I'll take what I can get. I just hope the controversy doesn't taint the fantastic baseball they are playing.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the catcher is in front of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously arguing that the ump can't see the catcher's mitt during a pitch? How could they ever call a ball/strike?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:14 PM

It can be tough to see depending on which side he's leaning on. That is something that would be real difficult I think. But you can't blame the umps for the Angels woes.

In 4 games they have drawn a total of 2 walks. Their superstar slugger Guerrero is hitting .062, their leadoff man Figgins is hitting .071 and their perennial allstar Anderson is hitting .133. Their pitching has been spotty and they are basically getting owned. The umps blew a few calls but it doesn't change the fact the Angels have been spanked so far.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 PM

Spanked? A couple of incorrect ump calls get made correctly, and the Angels could very easily be 3-1 in this series. They're completely demoralized by the fact that no matter what they do, they can't beat these horrid calls. Game 4 goes totally differently if the Angels get bases loaded 1 out when the score was 3 to 1. Different pitches get thrown, and Garcia doesn't have the ability to just go after every hitter with a huge lead. I disagree that the White Sox have totally dominated the Angels--any comparison is completely blurred by the horrid calls.