Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 11:08 PM

Default What position do you prefer most?

OK -- drag your mind out of the gutter and let me know whether you think position matters most in Texas, Omaha high, or Omaha/8 hold'em. I'm playing in a dealer's choice game in the near future. Texas hold'em is far and away my best game, but I can play the other two games passibly well. Should I stick with calling the Texas variety when it's my turn to choose or is there a bigger positional advantage in one of the other two games? My gut tells me that they're all the same and I should stick with Texas, but I've quit feeding my gut ice cream so it could be trying to trick me as an act of revenge. Thanks in advance for all responses.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:53 PM

Default Re: What position do you prefer most?

More information is required:

1) What limits (if P/L or N/L state avg buy-ins)
2) How much are the blinds
3) Are the players loose, tight, passive, aggressive
4) Which games do your opponents play the weakest
5) Will the players to your left defend their blinds strongly

Without answers to any of these questions I will offer a SWAG and say Omaha8 since most players play this game less well than others. That being said your strength in play vs the rest of the field will outweigh most of the positional advantage but position still offers some additional edge.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:02 AM

Assuming these are all limit games, then Holdem is the clear choice.

I think an argument can be made that position is more important in limit holdem than in either limit omaha game - especially omaha high.

But the more important consideration is that no difference in the value of position in these three games could make up for your better play in Hold Em. If that's "far and away your best game", call it as much as possible.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:07 AM

Default more info

I'm talking about a limit game. I've never played with any of these guys, but I understand that half the players are very bad and the others are solid. Texas hold'em gets called the least of all (a point in its favor, I believe, because it indicates the other guys aren't as comfortable with it). Omaha/8 gets called the most.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Re: more info

Deal hold'em. In my home game, the players who favor Omaha/8 play weak-tight hold'em. They tend to bet the nuts, or close to it, and fold everything else. I'd also say the positional advantage is greatest in hold'em, limit especially.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deal hold'em. In my home game, the players who favor Omaha/8 play weak-tight hold'em. They tend to bet the nuts, or close to it, and fold everything else. I'd also say the positional advantage is greatest in hold'em, limit especially.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is so you should be dealing omaha/8. you have position to see who bets the nuts or near nuts. you also have position to steal if they'll fold much more.

in my opinion, if your strongest game is hold-em, as is most everyones, and you are clearly dominating the field in hold-em, then you can make up for the position through your playing.

i think it would be advantageous for you to deal omaha/8, giving yourself position in a game that you have less of an advantage. in other words, deal the game that you have the least amount of skill advantage.

Old 08-26-2003, 04:22 PM

I prefer to be on top.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:31 PM

Position is more important in hold'em, where bluffing is a necessary skill. Omaha is less about bluffing, as unlike in holdem, somebody pretty much always flops something. Omaha is more mathematical game of the nuts (especially hi-lo). There is also something to be said for making sure you best game (hold'em) is more frequently played than the games at which you are weaker, so you can't forgo opportunities to deal your best game.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if this is so you should be dealing omaha/8. you have position to see who bets the nuts or near nuts. you also have position to steal if they'll fold much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the previous poster meant that the players play weak/tight in ALL games...

I think he was referring to the way Omaha/8 players tend to play Hold'em... In Omaha, you're more often up against the nuts than in Hold'em. So a player who favors Omaha/8 will fear a big hand more than a player who plays more Hold'em...

That's where the steal opportunities come from...