Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Knicks get Eddy Curry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. This is like poker and you can't be results orieneted. Based on all information available at the time, this is a total steal. What you wrote is like "whether or not it's a good decision to go for it on 4th down depends on if they make it." GMAB. I agree that they won't be as good, but I fully expected them to regress a little this year anyways.

Regarding Curry's talent in particular, the all-star talk is way out of line, even in the Eastern Conference. He may make one, but it's not like he's ever going to be a perennial all-star with his work ethic. And "productive player" at a max or near-max deal is just as big a salary cap killer as Tim Thomas is, but with a whole lot more years left. Ugh. I'm glad the heartache is over for the Bulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. I never questioned whether it was a good decision. I believe they made the best decision available to them, and I said as much. I'm not judging the decision, the only way I'm being results oriented is in judging... the results. Saying that this whole fiasco is a good thing for them is stretching. Knock Curry all you want, but he was perhaps the biggest factor in you guys making the playoffs last year. Come on, he's a big man with proven scoring ability, and he's 22. It's a shame that the Bulls were forced into trading him, and everyone in the organization would have rather kept him, no matter how you slice it.

I never said that he would be a perrenial allstar, but he will be an allstar caliber player. Michael Sweetney will not. And in regards to his work ethic, that's why we have LB (although I'm terrified at how this relationship will turn out).
Old 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isaih is absolutely [censored] horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way; Isiah has turned this roster around in less than 2 years. I can't complain. Look from a Knicks Messageboard I lurk at:

10-04-2005 1:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know we do this a lot, but it strikes me that the roster we had almost two years ago is nothing like the one we have now, moreso than ever. Two years ago we were hoping McDyess would magically heal and we got excited when Frank Williams got into the game. Sweetney wasn't even playing.
started with:
PG Ward
PG Eisley
PG FWilliams
SG Houston
SF Anderson
SF KVH
PF Weatherspoon
PF Harrington
PF Sweetney
PF McDyess
PF/C KThomas
C DMutombo
C MDoleac

now:
PG Marbury
PG NRobinson
PG/SG JCrawford
SG Hardaway
SG Houston
G/F QRichardson
G/F Ariza
F Lee
PF Rose
PF/C CFrye
PF ADavis
PF MoTaylor
C JJames
C ECurry
Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 PM

The roster definitely looks much more competitive. But the salaries of some of these players (Marbury, Crawford) is pretty high.

The only thing I care about is having enough money to sign Lebron in two years. I really hope Isiah is keeping this in mind.

How does the signing of free agents work? Do you have to be under the cap to do so? What is the cap even?

Anyway though, this team does look pretty solid overall. I think they should be able to make it to the playoffs.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The roster definitely looks much more competitive. But the salaries of some of these players (Marbury, Crawford) is pretty high.

The only thing I care about is having enough money to sign Lebron in two years. I really hope Isiah is keeping this in mind.

How does the signing of free agents work? Do you have to be under the cap to do so? What is the cap even?

Anyway though, this team does look pretty solid overall. I think they should be able to make it to the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a douche, but if you don't know about the NBA salary cap, I don't even know where to start...It's a long complicated process. In a nutshell, yes for good players, you have to be under the cap, or do a sign and trade, or have them take the MLE...
Old 10-04-2005, 03:03 PM

I think it's tough to judge. Yes, on paper our roster is a lot stronger than it was before Isiah took over, and certainly worth more attention. On the other hand, he has made some pretty terrible deals, and killed our cap space (even more than before) giving out absurd contracts like candy. What it boils down to, I think, is that Zeke understands what New York sports is all about. We want to be a contendor NOW, we want to be worth watching NOW, we will not idly support a lackluster team while it rebuilds the right way. I think there was an enormous amount of pressure for Zeke to make the franchise do a 180 immediately. So he's been in rush mode ever since he took over, and what we have now is a salary cap disaster, but a team which seems to be on the cusp of a playoff berth after only two years of wild deals. I'm not sure but I think the fact that Isiah was prematurely ousted from his old job before he got a chance to fully develop his young players may be contributing to some of the hysterical panic mode deals he's made.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM

I'm glad the Bulls got rid of Antonio Davis and that ridiculous 14 million a year he was getting. Front line of Chandler and Sweetney with a great backcourt is going to be fun to watch.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's tough to judge. Yes, on paper our roster is a lot stronger than it was before Isiah took over, and certainly worth more attention. On the other hand, he has made some pretty terrible deals, and killed our cap space (even more than before) giving out absurd contracts like candy. What it boils down to, I think, is that Zeke understands what New York sports is all about. We want to be a contendor NOW, we want to be worth watching NOW, we will not idly support a lackluster team while it rebuilds the right way. I think there was an enormous amount of pressure for Zeke to make the franchise do a 180 immediately. So he's been in rush mode ever since he took over, and what we have now is a salary cap disaster, but a team which seems to be on the cusp of a playoff berth after only two years of wild deals. I'm not sure but I think the fact that Isiah was prematurely ousted from his old job before he got a chance to fully develop his young players may be contributing to some of the hysterical panic mode deals he's made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand, unless you only added 1m a year players, as long as Houston was on the team, we would be over the cap until he retires. Whether it be 3-5m over, or 25m over, I don't care it's Dolans money.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad the Bulls got rid of Antonio Davis and that ridiculous 14 million a year he was getting. Front line of Chandler and Sweetney with a great backcourt is going to be fun to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Expiring contract for an expiring contract, TT makes even more then Antonio Davis btw. He will also be a douchebag.

Sweetney is a very likeable player, Chicago will love him.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget that the player needs to be with your team for three years for Bird rights. (Isiahs biggest mistake to date was only signing Ariza to a two year deal)