Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 12:38 AM

Default QQ, vomiting to a flop raise, thoughts?

Party, 34k guaranteed, about 500 people left, blinds 75/150. I'm the big stack at the table with about 13,000, I get black Queens in Middle position.

UTG raises to 400 with about 1100 in front, I reraise to 1200, player behind me with about 9500 calls, folds to the original PF raiser to who puts his last 700 in.

On the flop the pot is about 3500, and the flop comes:

[4d 5h 7h] I bet 2000, and the guy behind me thinks for a while, then sticks his last 6300 or so into the pot. Im too busy vomiting to know what to do. Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: QQ, vomiting to a flop raise, thoughts?

call
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 AM

Yeah there's no way you can lay that down here I don't think unless you have reason to believe this player would do this with nothing but one of the sets on the board. Possibly AK suited for overs and a flush draw which does make you a bit of a dog but still getting the odds to call easy. Certainly can't assume he has a straight or anything dumb like that, but i'm guessing whatever he had it won or else you wouldn't have posted heh. My guess is the AK suited or maybe even AQ suited for the flush/overdraw.

[ QUOTE ]
It's ALL about hourly rate. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 AM

I call here. I think you'll see 99 - JJ and draws far more often than a set or higher pair, and you're getting better than 2:1.

-cj
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 PM

I ended up calling the guys raise figuring Im either about to stack off 99-JJ or flip a coin with an overcard/flush draw. I was wrong: he shows KK and takes down a huge pot, dropping me from top 5% or so to below the average. I lost a coinflip to bust shortly afterwards.

My question is really whether there was a way for me to muck QQ there. No pf reraise made me think AA-KK was unlikely, but this is obv the farthest thing from an airtight assumption. Additionally the presence of another player all-in means Im going to see his cards no matter what, which might discourage him from bluffing--not to mention that he's still going to have to take down the pot from the other all-in player. I figure he thinks his hand is good, I just thought mine was better... ::shrugs::
Old 08-19-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally the presence of another player all-in means Im going to see his cards no matter what, which might discourage him from bluffing--not to mention that he's still going to have to take down the pot from the other all-in player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up. I was about to respond saying that until I read your latest post. It's a great point. You'll be up against 2 overs here about 2 or 3 times more often without that other player all-in. That said, I still don't think it's impossible that he's doing that with AK and hoping the all-in player has overs as well.

Second of all, there's one thing about this hand that truly dictates a call to me:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the big stack at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to call here simply because it's a great hand, and if you're wrong, you won't be out. Sorry you lost th coinflip right after, but you could just as easily won it and been back in the hunt.