Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Ever get crap for being an \"internet\" player from live players?

I played a hand earlier today in a live 10-20 game at Trump, IN, after a tournament just for some fun, and hadn't been getting any hands to play with in a VERY weak/passive ABC game. I had been talking a bit with the guys next to me, and they asked me what I do for a living, and I said poker, they said where, and I said online, and a few eyes rolled, a few questions were asked, standard stuff, no biggie. I had yet to win a pot in a hour of play and only seeing 3 flops, so after looking at about 18 straight Double down hands, T8h UTG looked like a monster to me, especially since 3 were up from their chairs. Anyways, 3 see flop of T94, one heart. The BB bets out,( an ok player who tried to be kinda tricky it seemed) I raise, and we're heads up on the turn, which I was ready to check unless it was a J, 8, or 7, since he called me so fast,(I don't consider myself a great limit player, btw). Anyways, it comes 8, 2 clubs on board, and He checks it to me, I bet, and he raises me. Now, the only times I'd seen him raise before he had a set, a straight, and a flush, so I was obviously worried about QJ, T9, or any set, but I play bad, so after thinking awhile, I called. The river came out a 3, and he bet out confidently again. I really wasn't thrilled and contemplated folding, but I knew Ed Miller would be furious at me and made a crying call. He calls out "One pair" and rolls QQ and I am happy.

So as I'm raking in the pot, a guy about 65 years old or so says something to the effect of "Why the hell didn't you raise it on the turn? I can tell you're an internet player." I showed restraint (REALLY!), and replied I thought QJ or a set was a strong possibility from his previous play, and in any case I didn't figure him for as strong a pocket hand as QQ, which made the read all the more difficult for me, and what's more, I play bad.

Geezer doesn't let up. "You say you play for a living? You don't know a thing about poker, kid." Surprise, surprise, I'd had enough, (I know, I know, you're all very surprised), to which I replied, "Well, if you'd like to teach me a thing or two, we can play heads up". He made a couple more comments essentially saying that he's been playing for longer than I've been alive, yadda, yadda, you know the fogey drill, and I said "Funny, you'd think you'd have learned to play in all that time", among other things.

Now, contrary to online play, where I can get a bit abusive at times,(a failing point of my game, I know), when I play live, I am just looking to have a good time, and I never hassle anyone about anything. I talk to people at the table, say nice hand, and try to foster a happy table environment, #1, because I want to have a good time, and #2, as Caro says "A happy table is a profitable table." So he lays off me after this, and I pound him on the 4 hands we played together, where I'm fairly certain he called me down weak just to try to catch the "internet player." As I am getting ready to leave, my who was playing at the table with me says to me, "Dammit, i lost $30 this orbit, all because you wanted to play to my blinds." to which I replied, "That's ok, i made $100. Maybe if you played as well as I do you'd have WON $$$." Most of the table smiles/laughs at my obvious joke, as does my friend,(my friends and I do TONS of ball-busting), but the old guy says I need to read a book about being more humble, which of course is stupid because I had made several self-deprecating remarks that most anyone would have picked up on. I just laughed, and he said "Kid (in a VERY condescending tone), you need to learn about respect", to which I replied, " Old man,, respect is earned, and a lack of respect shown will get you no respect in return." He then jawed at me a bit more, and I just finished stacking my chips ($333 profit for 3 hours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and said this is why I don't play live very much, my 14 month old son crabs less.

On my way home, i related the story to my friend, and he said that invariably when he says he plays on the internet, he gets the same treatment if not worse, and I've gotten similar crap from players in other instances. Now, I know some of this is just a knee-jerk macho reaction to some young kid coming in and at times beating or outplaying them, but when internet play is interjected, the respect level seems to plummet, and I get told how I don't really know very much about poker because real poker can ONLY be played face-to-face, which is, of course, crap. Does anyone else notice that if they mention they play online they catch a lot of crap?

P.S. For those of you that may rightfully question why I seem so angry all the time; I'm not, I just suffer fools badly, and I don;t really take crap from anyone, because I don;t have to. I am nice to everybody I meet, and never give anyone a problem, but I expect the same in return, which at times is not the case. I am worse about it now because I used to work retail tire sales for 13 years and had to put up with a LOT of abuse from customers, but now, I just don't have to, so I put up with a limited amount of BS. I remember back while I was still selling tires, I went to LV with a friend of mine who owns a DJ company and is fairly well off. On the return flight home, I went to my seat and found a businessman sitting there, and I inquired as to his seat #, and he gave me a dirty look. He was sitting in a 2 seat aisle side directly behind a 1 seat aisle side, and had his briefcase and paperwork out on the second, vacant seat. I rechecked my ticket and my friends ticket, and saw tat he was indeed in our seats. I said, "I'm sorry, sir, but it appears you are in my seat", and he told me he alreadt there, and I should sit in his single seat ahead of him. I said I wanted to be able to talk to my friend, and that the other seat he had his things in was my friends. He gives me yet another dirty look, then grabs his things in a huff and throws them down next to his actual seat and slams himself down in his seat. We took our seats directly behind him, and when we sat, I whispered to my friend " I wonder what's up with him?", to which my friend said in full voice, "Fu[/b}ck him, he's an as[/b]shole." I blanched a bit, positive the guy heard it, but my friend didn't care,(my friend is not a big guy, btw, and the businessman sorta was, but that's really not much the point I found out). For whatever reason, I look back at that whenever someone gives me a hard time for no reason, and while I'm not as quick about it as he is, I no longer worry about what jerks think.

P.P.S. Not positive of the OOTworthiness of this post, but it's really more about people than poker.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Ever get crap for being an \"internet\" player from live players?

This is Bible-length.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...to which I replied, "Well, if you'd like to teach me a thing or two, we can play heads up".

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading at this point (Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and read the whole thing). But, this may be one of the most pathetic responses ever. It's bad enough when people do this online. In a B&M, you just making yourself look like a goofus.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is Bible-length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, sorry.

tendency to ramble+wanting to cover as much of the story as possible with leaving out incriminating details= Long post.

I ain't the best with brevity, my sincere apologies
Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...to which I replied, "Well, if you'd like to teach me a thing or two, we can play heads up".

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading at this point (Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and read the whole thing). But, this may be one of the most pathetic responses ever. It's bad enough when people do this online. In a B&M, you just making yourself look like a goofus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been talking a bit with the guys next to me, and they asked me what I do for a living, and I said poker, they said where, and I said online

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #1

[ QUOTE ]
showed restraint (REALLY!), and replied I thought QJ or a set was a strong possibility from his previous play, and in any case I didn't figure him for as strong a pocket hand as QQ, which made the read all the more difficult for me, and what's more, I play bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #2

[ QUOTE ]
to which I replied, "Well, if you'd like to teach me a thing or two, we can play heads up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #3

[ QUOTE ]
" Old man,, respect is earned, and a lack of respect shown will get you no respect in return."

[/ QUOTE ]

Mildly funny

PeeWee
Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well then what is your response to continuing abuse? He was saying I sucked, and it is not only a retort, but a probe of an actual profit opportunity. I've had someone say this to me before in a B&M and I took him up on it, and he quit playing me after 45 minutes and losing $900 in 10-20 HU. If yer saying just take it, I ain't to good at that, but I am working on my Zen.

I had responded nicely to his first two or 3 insults, but I do draw the line. I'm very interested in a better response.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 AM

try here
Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had been talking a bit with the guys next to me, and they asked me what I do for a living, and I said poker, they said where, and I said online

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #1

[ QUOTE ]
showed restraint (REALLY!), and replied I thought QJ or a set was a strong possibility from his previous play, and in any case I didn't figure him for as strong a pocket hand as QQ, which made the read all the more difficult for me, and what's more, I play bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #2

[ QUOTE ]
to which I replied, "Well, if you'd like to teach me a thing or two, we can play heads up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #3

[ QUOTE ]
" Old man,, respect is earned, and a lack of respect shown will get you no respect in return."

[/ QUOTE ]

Mildly funny

PeeWee

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how #1 is a mistake. Because I showed a thought process? The others, I'll take heat for. I knew I would when I posted this, and sincerely would like to know how others handle it.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not positive of the OOTworthiness of this post, but it's really more about my raging ego than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP