Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 04:07 PM

Default weak-tight test

Party 15/30 Mostly passive and predictable. I just started playing this limit thanks to GOT's recommendation (I had been playing the 10/20). I am posting what appears to be a very routine hand because I want to make sure I'm not playing scared after a level jump.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG3 and open raise, folded to the button who cold-calls, SB calls, and BB folds.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB checks, I bet, button raises, SB 3-bets, and I fold.

Routine? Weak? Do I need to drop back down to micro limits? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: weak-tight test

I don't think it's necessarily a bad fold, but you'll be up against a flush draw and a worse Ace a lot of the time.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:07 PM

Hey hutz,

I probably wouldn't fold here. The only hands that have you in too bad of a spot are AK and a set. You have a decent shot to outdraw A6 and K6. If he has a weaker ace, you're in great shape. I also wouldn't be surprised if this were a pair of kings with a flush draw. In any case, there are 6.5 big bets in the pot when it comes back to you. It'll probably cost you 3 or 4 big bets to see a showdown. Those are good enough odds for me to play on... I'd call the flop and then raise the turn if no heart comes.

That being said, it's not the worst spot to lay down, especially since you have JJ for all they know...

ML4L
Old 01-02-2004, 05:16 PM

The correct action depends on the opponent of course....

At the table, I would have folded so I must have passed the test.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 05:58 PM

well, it's really all about the hand reading, not the playing style.

Let's look at the button - with a set or 2 pair, he likely 3 bets preflop, and he also likely waits for the turn.

Similar comments apply to the SB. However, the SB may not 3 bet AK as often, and is less inclined to wait for the turn. So the SB is definitely scarier, but we should still have some doubt, esp. if they will be a loose caller preflop.

So, the best play is probably to call, and then you can read the button's move and proceed. The turn card could also make you like your hand a lot less, so I am not so crazy about 4 betting.

Dan Z.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:13 PM

I think you're beat. No weak-tightness here. What other streets will you pay to get BETTER info than here that you're beat?

al
Old 01-02-2004, 06:51 PM

yes youre playing scared. this fold is bizarre and that's being nice about it. what were you afraid of? top pair best kicker not enough for you to carry on with this hand here?

Old 01-02-2004, 07:14 PM

WoW. isnt this the flop you hope to get...next time dont fold 4-bet and make them pay you off for drawing...