Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Quads vs Quads I would have folded mine. What do you think?

I was at a weekly monday night 1/3 NL game. Mid way thru the night a bad beat jackpot hand occurred. UTG+3 raised to $30, fold, fold, fold, fold, call, I fold, everybody else folded. The guy beside me that calls shows me JJ. I will refer to the two guys as RAISER and JJ. The flop comes QJJ. RAISER leads out and bets $50. JJ smooth calls the bet. Then a Q comes on the turn. So we know have QJJQ on the board. RAISER checks and JJ follows with a check. A blank comes out on the river. RAISER leads out and bets $200. JJ goes all in for $180 more and RAISER calls. JJ shows his quad J's and RAISER shows QQ he had quad Q's.

At that game when somebody raises $30 preflop it means they have AA, KK, QQ, or JJ. So I put RAISER on QQ, KK, or AA knowing the guy beside me had JJ. Both JJ and RAISER are pretty good players. I would have thought I was good until the first to act $200 river bet. There is no way he could have led out and bet $200 with AA or KK with QJJQX on the board after being called for his $30 preflop raise and $50 flop bet. That would just be a suicide bet so that leaves you with one hand left to put him on which is QQ. I wanted to tell JJ to fold to his $200 bet. WOULD YOU HAVE FOLDED?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Quads vs Quads I would have folded mine. What do you think?

Wrong forum.

Folding would be retarded.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM

I think he'd make a similar play with any Q or even AA so you have to call.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At that game when somebody raises $30 preflop it means they have AA, KK, QQ, or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

Second of all, OP, you said it was a bad beat jackpot hand. I don't care if Raiser has shown me his hole cards, I'm at the very least calling the $200 on a BBJ table.

Thirdly, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

By the way the hand was played, I can just as easily (as JJ) put Raiser on AA, or bluffing with AK, because he's read me to have the same holding and he's trying to push me off of it.

(I smooth-called a flop underbet and checked behind on the turn for a free river card. He made a continuation bet on the flop and then checked looking for a free river card as well.)
Old 03-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Welcome to the fourm James~!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM

hey silent. What is your name? I was at that game. My name is Derek. I was the one in the Texas hat.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:28 AM

Maybe if you were in a tournament you could be right on with your fold, which is a remarkable move to me, but in a cash game it really don't get much better than quads, beacuse in my mind I will always put that player on a boat if the board read what you said.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the board read AAAJJ, and the guy moves in on the river? Its not that simple.

However I don't see folding JJ here as an option, but not going crazy on the river might be wise.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Folding quad anything is incorrect. The probability of quad q's appearing while holding quad j's is so trivial that the it must be ignored. I would think the probability of getting struck by lightning would be greater. What a great hand to have witnessed . . .
Old 03-09-2005, 02:49 PM

This post is dumb. If you would have folded quad jacks here in this spot with these stacks, well then you sir are a complete moron. Also, you said it was a bad beat jackpot hand. Why the hell would anyone want to fold JJ for any reason on this board in a game that has a bad beat jackpot.