Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Bubble Play - Limpers and Mini-raisers

Ok, as soon as my withdrawal makes it into my Neteller account I'll have SNGPT, but until then can someone give me some general advice on consistent PF limpers and mini-raisers on the bubble?

Every time I have what seems a marginal push, someone comes limping in front of me and I can't pull the trigger. Assuming limpers/miniraisers have greater than 8x BB, what do these players do to your fold equity? Can you just treat their limps like a check and push anyway? I feel like I'm squandering a lot of good situations by being afraid to push over them.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Bubble Play - Limpers and Mini-raisers

I don't think SNGPT is going to help a lot.

There are 2 type of people that limp/miniraise. Those with monsters and those that don't want to invest a lot of money in the hands. If the person has been raising 3x and limps/miniraises, you have to be worried. If they have been doing it every hand, you can think about pushing. When do to this is a bit of a feel issue and very situational. The questions I ask (in no particular order) are
1) how much do I need this pot
2) Anyone left behind me and how tight they are
3) Has the limper/miniraise been doing this consistantly
4) Do I have enough chips to have some folding equity
5) Does my hand have any playing potential (suited, connected, a couple of high cards)
6) has the person shown an ability to lay down a hand preflop

You have to remember pushing here is a lot more high risk than open pushing. They often have good odds to call. If there are 2 or 3 limpers pushing can be a good move in that you can get a lot of dead money in the pot as you normally only end up with 1 caller at most.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Bubble Play - Limpers and Mini-raisers

Thanks. That helps some. The situation that I got into today was one where I was small stack varying somewhere between 7-12xbb. There were 6 players total, and one middle stack (12-16xbb) was limping about 50% of his hands and playing a lot of flops w/the big stacks.

The constant limps were killing me. I did push over him twice, but there were maybe 4-6 other opportunities where I couldn't pull the trigger.