Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Something very very standard..

.. which I might do wrong.

I think I may be continuation betting the turn too much lately.
When do you decide if it's time for a turn-check(fold) instead of another continuation bet in these kind of situations.

Villain is 40/20/2.6

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.00 BB.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Something very very standard..

I check/fold the turn. There's just too many ways villain could have a pair or draw that he's not folding. He's gonna semibluff raise a lot of the draws and bluff the river whatever happens on the turn. Not worth it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 PM

And what if the turn card was a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] instead of a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM

that one's a lot closer. I think I'd bet that one unless I thought there was no chance villain folds or checks the river with a worse hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 AM

With an opponent that's aggressive, if the turn is a brick how about checking the turn through and deciding if we want to pick off a river bluff depending on the river card? (or catch a king). It just seems like this is the kind of board where this player is either going to have gotten something or more likely will try and put a move on at some point. I'm not too good at these spots either though.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/fold the turn. There's just too many ways villain could have a pair or draw that he's not folding. He's gonna semibluff raise a lot of the draws and bluff the river whatever happens on the turn. Not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2005, 04:53 AM

I've learned to let go here a lot more and a lot easier. Unless my opponent is a super maniac or donk, I will c/f the turn most of the time. If I have been doing this a lot I will mix in some turn c/r with nothing occassionaly.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 AM

The most important number isnt 40, 20, or 2.6. Its his fold flop to continuation bet (or fold flop works too), and if you have a decent number of hands, fold turn to continuation bet (and fold turn). Raise turn and WTSD can also be usefull. Theres no excuse for not accessing these numbers in situations like this.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 40/20/2.6

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key part. Against this type of opponent, your decision whether to make that continuation turn bet is going to be hard, no matter what. Looks like this guy is going to be seeing the turn quite often. Perhaps this is weak, but I'd be selective in raising from the sb against him in the first place.

Still, in the example posted, I would have played it the same.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important number isnt 40, 20, or 2.6. Its his fold flop to continuation bet (or fold flop works too), and if you have a decent number of hands, fold turn to continuation bet (and fold turn). Raise turn and WTSD can also be usefull. Theres no excuse for not accessing these numbers in situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've often wondered about those numbers.

What would you say is a decent sample size and what would be high and low numbers for:

1. Folded to flop continuation bet
2. Folded to turn continuation bet
3. Raise turn %