Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Question for 10/20 players

I usually 4-table if I want to relax and watch TV or multi-task in some way. I'll 5-table if I'm in the mood to concentrate. I'll 6-table if I'm in the mood to concentrate and all my tables are 5 or 6 handed with little turnover.

The impact of adding more than 5 tables is where it really starts to get noticable for me. It's just the whole deal of looking back and forth from monitor to monitor that I'm not comfortable with yet. I'll have to check out Party Beta...

___1___
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the optimal amount will be different for each person. some people, especially those who have played endless amounts of video games, are able to play many tables without their concentration breaking much. i time out a fair amount at 8 tables just because after a while i start to concentrate on the more interesting hands im involved in and realize that im sitting out somewhere.

also, you get far less hands for each table you add. playing one table, you might get 105 hands/hr. playing 4 tables, you might sometimes take a few extra seconds to act and get 100 hands/hr. then at 6 i start to slow down and get 550 hands/hr, or about 91 hands/hr. at 8 i really start pressing and i typically get about 640 hands/hr, so 80 hands/hr. so those 2 extra tables from 6-->8 get me only 90 hands/hr or 45 hands/table/hr. for me, unless i get a rhythm of playing everyday, i cant keep my winrate high enough at 8 tables to warrant me adding the 90 more hands/hr. over the summer, when i was playing moer consistently, i was able to play 8. so there is definitely an optimal amount for each person

however, 10/20 6-max is a very easy game to autopilot if you have some experience there and with the help of a lot of mined hands
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however, 10/20 6-max is a very easy game to autopilot if you have some experience there and with the help of a lot of mined hands

[/ QUOTE ]
can you teach me poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I sux0rs. And hitting 2 consecutive downswings hurts.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
can you teach me poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I sux0rs. And hitting 2 consecutive downswings hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

10/20 is very hard at first. it takes awhile to get used to and even then you will have some sick runs.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 AM

if you want to learn how to crush 10/20 play in some highly aggressive shorthanded games on other sites or on party. you might not be the favorite in them but thats besides the point. the point is that those games are going to make you eat lightning and crap thunder and when you go back to the 10/20 6max youll feel like everyone is a passive idiot.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 AM

i play 3-6 depending on if i can find good ones. usually i just open all the tables i can and get wait lists. if it happens that 6 good seats are open then i go for it.

5 seems to be the optimal number for me right now, but i am only using 1 monitor (17" 1920x1200).
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 AM

BTW Josh does coaching and I hear he's excellent. He hasn't had any students yet but word of mouth spreads fast.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you want to learn how to crush 10/20 play in some highly aggressive shorthanded games on other sites

[/ QUOTE ]

sites/stakes?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when you go back to the 10/20 6max youll feel like everyone is a passive idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think lack of aggressivness is the most common misstake at SH10/20 at Party Poker?

I would say being loose both pre- and postflop is a much worse problem for most players.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:39 AM

I personally find that 4-tables of 6-max is where I begin to max-out. Two tables is much more optimal for me (reads are as perfect as they can be), but what I lose 4-tabling is obviously gained in hands/hour.

One way of looking at this is that you have to find your maximum hands/hour. This rate should then apply to some extent to both full ring, 6-max or even 2/3 handed. I find that 400 hands per hour is where my game begins to fall apart – my reads are poor, I get tired quickly, my concentration doesn’t last etc.

Therefore I find playing 6-tables of full ring somewhat similar to playing 4-tables of 6-max. In fact, the whole “you can win more at 6-max because you play more hands/hour” is actually a fallacy (because you can comfortably play more tables at full ring to overcome this effect). However, the fact that you are involved in more pots with bad players is obviously true. Also, the correlation between hands/hour at full ring versus short-handed does not quite hold because you are involved in more pots/marginal decisions at short handed.

However, I do feel that working out your personally optimal hands/hour is a pretty useful statistic to think about: Feeling tired? Reduce the figure by 25%. Feeling fresh after coming back from a run? Increase by 25%. You have some buddies playing on full ring and 6-max: Add up the hands/hour so that you are playing an optimum number of hands/hour.