Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Large Pot, Terrible Flop

Source of an argument between me and a friend. Loose passive 15/30 Friday night game. You're dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. Pre-flop action is 3 limpers, a raise on the button, a call in the SB, and a re-raise from you in the BB that everyone calls. 18SB going to the flop 6 handed.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. What's your action? With redraws, chops, and dirty cards, how many outs do you give yourself here if you're behind? If you lead and it comes back 3 bet on the flop what is your action? If the flop is capped and you see a multiway turn what is your plan?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Large Pot, Terrible Flop

One thing at a time, dude. You bet. Now what happened?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:34 PM

You check-raise or check-fold. If you bet here, you are trapping yourself with the hardest hand to fold on later streets (AA). You check, if it checks around to a late-pos player, then you can check-raise to knockout the field. A single bet here is not eliminating anyone. The idea with AA in this situation is to knock-out the field and/or not lose any more money. If you check, and it is 2 bets to you, then you can throw your aces away. The worst possible thing to do here is bet out, b/c everyone is going to call and you will have no idea where you stand. Check here everytime! If the next player bets, and everyone calls, i would just call, again, bc a raise is going to get you nowhere. Whatever you do, if you are still in the hand at the turn, check again. If you hit the straight, no one is calling, if you hit an Ace, try to get to the river as cheaply as possible.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:43 PM

what hands are you hoping to fold? 66? Ok... check/rz to knock out 66. Your other possible folders are J8, Q9 and other hands you are really indifferent to whether or not they call. You are betting here because you have equity vs. the field. There is no chance of knocking out a T and knocking out a weaker ace is just silly. There are plenty of hands that are losing to you right now, that would be perfectly happy to cap this flop. YOU WILL LEARN VERY LITTLE ON THE FLOP. So bet it out. You ahead of a reasonable range of hands for the field.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You bet. Now what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, fold, raise, re-raise, fold.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You bet. Now what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, fold, raise, re-raise, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call and see a turn. If it's a red deuce, I would fire again and see where that takes me.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:12 AM

I think c/r the flop is the way to go. Information and thinning the field at this point is critical. Also, I'd like to force 66 or any Q to fold, rather than collect from them, since I find that it is much easier to play a big pot correctly when the field is thinner. Although I could see an argument for not thinning the field if known donks are in there with you and a player capable of making good (semi) bluffs.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 AM

what Qs do you imagine are out there that you fold? Q8? Come on. AQ-Q9 are all calling, don't deceive yourself. Fine, you can fold out 66, but who really cares?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 AM

Actually, the other stuff's pretty elementary, so I'm just going to cut to the chase: can we consider a fold when the button makes it two back to us and we're not closing the action? Blah blah, pot equity, blah blah, dirty outs. Big pot, though.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:24 PM

no, not on the flop. There are plenty of drawing hands the should juice this flop. Also, we are ahead of a couple hands like AK/KQ/QJ against whom we are ahead right now, or have a ton of outs against. There is turn action/cards that can get me to fold this, but not on the flop.