Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: the end of 2+2 as we know it...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not super worried. I guess that those already a part of 2+2 would benefit a little from it being cut off from everyone else, but it's just not fair. Suck it up y'all.

Also, the article said strasser only has a 17" monitor. That better be a mistake by SI or I lost some respect for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and didn't he go all in with second pair in a 5/10 NL game? (I could be wrong but I don't feel like loooking it up.) Is that a standard play? Good read by him, mI suppose, but I have a feeling if one of his opponenets made that play against him when he held top pair, he'd be calling the opponent a stupid fish in that oh-so-contemptuous way of his.

--Zetack
Old 05-29-2005, 12:15 PM

hear hear

Some of the newbies will get to the point of posting stuff that makes us oldtimers money. We like money, and money we wouldn't have gotten best of all. There are plenty of posters that came on after Moneymaker that are a credit to the forum. If some how they stumble thru the door of 2+2 they should be treated like any other poster until they prove otherwise not deserving.

MS Sunshine
Old 05-29-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is a touchy subject for many, and i could never understand the big deal. as long as new people come to the game, a few more pros won't hurt nobody.

also, the more people we 'develop' may turn into excellent posters and contributors that will actually help sustain the community.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2+2 Omerta Nazis (if I may mix a metaphor) ignore a basic fact of life: the intelligence and initiative of the people here pretty much follows the same normal distribution you would find in any card room in the country. Which is to say (gasp!), we have our fair share of idiots here who are going to continue to be losers forever. This isn't a covert society where you learn the secret handshake and are instantly transformed into Phil Ivey. This a resource that can be of value if properly used, which includes a lot of hard work. Most people who wander in here aren't going to put in the work.

But, as Granny points out, those who do the work are going to improve the forum. Let's say for the sake of argument that back in the dark ages there were 3000 members, and 10% (that's 300 posters for those who haven't read Sklansky yet) had something worthwhile to say. Fast forward to today, with over 30,000 members. Even if the idiot ratio doubles, 5% of that represents 1500 people talking sense and contributing to the common good. It just takes a little more time and effort to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

And, this also means that there are now another 20,000 or so people who now think they know the secret handshake. One of my personal tournament axioms is that an idiot with a big stack is a bigger idiot. Another axiom that I just made up is that a fish with a little knowledge is a bigger fish. I'll bet money that you could back up a truck to any card room in the country and hand out free copies of SSHE or any other 2+2 book, and you could go back there in a month and find no discernable change in the overall quality of play. Most people would not read it. Some who did would not get it, and play worse. A very few would study and apply and benefit.

Same here. Open the doors and put out the welcome mat. We'll leave the light on for you.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten far more from this site than I could ever hope to give back, and I don't begrudge anyone their opportunity to do the same.

New people are going to come along, just like I did, you did, and the OP did. I didn't find this site because I'm special or deserving of a break, but I'm happy I did, and if someone else comes along and enjoys the place I'm happy for them as well.

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no idea how many people *bitterly* disagree with you.

i feel the same way as you martin, but i learned a long time ago that people will stick a shiv in you for talking this place up to strangers.

things have changed now because there are just so many new people, but i used t get my ass jumped in public AND by PM's from close friends that told me to shut my damn mouth and stop sending people here. close friends got nastyass with me and some still don't talk to me.

this is a touchy subject for many, and i could never understand the big deal. as long as new people come to the game, a few more pros won't hurt nobody.

also, the more people we 'develop' may turn into excellent posters and contributors that will actually help sustain the community.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the same people who don't tell you how the fireball on Street Fighter works, because they are afraid that they have to get better themselves.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are the same people who don't tell you how the fireball on Street Fighter works, because they are afraid that they have to get better themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should the United States tell other countries how to make nuclear weapons? If we do, then we can push ourselves to the next level of technology. After all, that's the real goal, right? It has nothing to do with winning and perserving quality of life. It's all about not being afraid to get better.

There's always a more difficult game available than what you're playing. If personal challenge is what you're after, move to a more difficult game.