Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Mutlitabling

Hello all,
Why do people play so many tables at once?

Do you really make that much more?

Or is the goal to play break even poker a get a ton of rake back?

Is it mostly low limit, or do people play NL with that many tables?

I personally could see playing up to maybe 8 limit games up to maybe 5-10 but it seems like such a grind..... is it worth it?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 PM

I play four NL tables at a time (though only 3 on PokerStars -- their tables are 9-max, and usually have only 7 or 8 active players at a time, so they just move a bit too quickly for me to 4-table).

As others have said, it just takes practice. I used to think 4-tabling was insane, too. Then I tried 4-tabling a limit game to clear a deposit bonus and found it to be pretty easy, but I still thought 4-tabling NL was crazy. Then I tried it, and within a few days of starting, it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. I'm confident that I lose very little EV per table from this (though I'm sure I do lose some).

Now I think 8-tabling is nuts, but, judging by the above trend, I'm probably wrong.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:15 PM

First of all, yes. It's quite possible to play well enough to win at 4 tables. And you've come to the right place if you want to talk to many people who do it everyday (quite few as their primary source of income).

Like anything else, practice makes perfect. I would not suggest multi-tabling to any player that was not 100% confident that they are a winning player at the stakes in quetion. A first step to learning multi-tabling might be to drop down a level and play 2 tables instead of 1. This is how I started and believe me, it took a couple weeks before it felt comfortable. 8 months later, I've now worked my way up to 4 tables in my normal game and have no problem with it whatsoever.

As far as what is more profitable, there is no question that multi-tabling, if done diligently by a strong, focused player is more profitable that playing one table at the same stakes.

Think of it like this:

If you are playing $1/2 on Party and you are good enough to make 3 big bets/100 hands playing your best game. If you played 2 tables, how much expected value would you think you are giving up? A big drop might take you down to 2 big bets/100. So even if you're giving up 33% of your edge by multi-tabling you will be making 4 bets for every 3 you made playing one table.

And I can assure you, the more you practice multi-tabling, the better you'll get at it and the less edge you'll give up.

Then imagine playing 3 tables. Let's say you cut your edge in half (compared to playing 1 table) by doing this. You are still going to make 1.5 *3/100 or 4.5 big bets/100 hands, a 25% increase in your return despite giving up HALF of your edge.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't think many do more than 4 NL tables at once, but lots of people do 8, 12, or more limit tables. Imagine you're making 2 BB/hr at 3/6. Once you learn to multitable well your winrate might drop to 1.5... MAYBE. But now you're playing 10 tables, so you're making 15BB/hr instead of 2. You've gone from $12/hr to $90/hr. Over a 20 hour week that's a difference of $1600. Pretty significant difference.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i 4-table on a laptop with all the tables overlapping each other, and i do fine. i'm always bouncing around and i'm never lost, or taking the full amount of time to act. i also surf the web and watch tv at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you vote in this thread?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I play 6 max tables just because they generally move faster. I would really rather play full ring games, but they move SO SLOW BECAUSE OF ALL THE FREAKING MULTITABLERS.

[/ QUOTE ]
I multi-table on 6-max only.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:29 PM

I'm frequently multi-tabling the 6-max also.
I agree that it is frequently NOT the multi-tablers who are holding up the game.

To successfully multi-table you are better off having a monitor that will go up to 1600x1200 resolution.

Most of us know this of course....but many who think multi-tabling is near-impossible aren't aware that you can do it by seeing all 4 tables at the same time.

1 tables is REALLY REALLY freaking slow imo.
4 tables is reasonable.

I think it's a lot like video-games....if you are of the type that can play Madden-football or Halo or Mario Brothers or whatever other video-game then you will probably not have as much difficulty multi-tabling.

If you're like my parents and would be easily confused, stressed and blown-away by the speed of Pac-Man then multi-tabling is probably not going to be for you.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I play 6 max tables just because they generally move faster. I would really rather play full ring games, but they move SO SLOW BECAUSE OF ALL THE FREAKING MULTITABLERS.

[/ QUOTE ]
I multi-table on 6-max only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. Maybe he was on one of my table the other day when I was 10 tabling [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously. I make my decisions really fast most of the time compared to tards who spend 20 seconds to call a 1 bet on the flop with a flush draw getting 9:1
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 4 tables at once is just insane!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Those that are doing it need to sop. No one else should really even think about doing it.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing 4 tables at once is just insane!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Those that are doing it need to sop. No one else should really even think about doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are good enough to do it then why not??