Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Super Monday bustout hand...

Won a seat to this today, first time ever playing it. About 330 left, average stack 3800, I have 2950, Villain barely covers.

Blinds 75/150, I open UTG+2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to 500.
Villain in MP makes it 1100 straight. I decide to call and see a flop.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Villain bets 700, I move in for about 1850.

Ugly?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Super Monday bustout hand...

Yes.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 AM

No fold equity?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 AM

So about after the worst possible flop for your hand, you stick it all in...U-G-L-Y. He might fold QQ or JJ, but he ain't folding anything that hit that flop hit it hard and it aint folding.
Save them chips.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 AM

Depending on your read of this guy, that preflop re-raise would make me worried about a pocket pair. The 700 bet on the flop seems a little fishy after the raise to 1100 before the flop, so I can see you sensed weakness, which is understandable. But it also seems like a bet that is dying for a call after you checked. If he was trying to buy it, he would have made a much larger bet after you checked the flop.

In my mind he either has a set or a decent pocket pair. Maybe AK.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He might fold QQ or JJ, but he ain't folding anything that hit that flop hit it hard and it aint folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not folding 99 apparently.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 AM

Did villain have AA or KK? The small reraise followed by the small flop bet looks like that, particularly since you say you lost the hand.

He is giving you odds to flat call, but I am not crazy about the flat call. Seems like you stack size and hand are suited to push or fold. Plus the small reraise looks like either a big hand or a move. If you think he has AA-QQ or AK, then I would fold preflop.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 AM

The problem you've got is that villain has half his chips in the pot before you move in so, unless he's a really good player, he's liable to call with the same cards he reraised you with in the first place, in this case 99.

Your play is good and a better player would fold to the check raise but a better player wouldn't make a minimum reraise with 99 on a stack his own size raising from EP. Basically, he's looked at his pretty pocket pair and all his chips are going in the middle whatever (even if button puts him all in pre-flop and you call I reckon) and you were unlucky to get caught in the crossfire.