Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Which books should I get by Tom McEvoy and Ken Warren, if any?

I notice they've written a lot about the game, which I can only assume means their books are successful sellers. I've read almost every poker book 2+2 has published and am ready to move on to other perspectives.

Can people who have read their work recommend their better books? It doesn't matter what aspect of poker they're about, as long as they're not introductory.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Which books should I get by Tom McEvoy and Ken Warren, if any?

haven't read mcevoy, but instead of reading warren read a maxim or something...his holdem advice is shady...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:59 AM

zero!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:12 AM

After reading some other threads I see that Ken Warren is a joke to all of you. I guess I'll take his books off my massive wishlist.

But I've seen a few people speak highly of Tom McEvoy's books. There's really no value in any of them?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I notice they've written a lot about the game, which I can only assume means their books are successful sellers. I've read almost every poker book 2+2 has published and am ready to move on to other perspectives.

Can people who have read their work recommend their better books? It doesn't matter what aspect of poker they're about, as long as they're not introductory.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Warren is confused. I read his stuff before 2+2 and he cost me money. Stay away.

McEvoy is generally weak tight, and his books have too much filler. His best hold'em titles are:

New Players Guide to NLHE
Championship PL & NLHE
Championship Satellite Strategy
Championship Tournament Practice Hands

If you want perspective outside of 2+2, I would recommend Ciaffone's books and the "How Good is Your" series + Cooke, Yao, Greenstein, Hilger, etc.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ken Warren is rich

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 AM

I only like the Championship books. However, I don't like Chamionship Hold'em or Championship Tournament Poker. Championship Tournament Practice Hands, Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Hold'em, and Championship Omaha are all pretty good books. I've heard good things about his satellite book and tournament practice hands book. Basically everything away from the Championship Series McEvoy does is bad from what I hear.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Although I generally don't like Tom McEvoy's books I was flipping through his new book "How to Win NL Holdem Tournaments" and found some of the information in it to be useful....on a surface level at least...it seemed more like a how to book on getting through the rubrics of a tournament rather than a strategy book...so I don't think it necessarily rivals HOH I or HOH
II. May someone else could give a review on this book since I am not much of a tournament player....
Ken Warren books are good for filling gaps in your book shelf...and giving them as gifts to your advesaries...lol
I've read one of Warren book...it was my first book on O8...I posted here to get a review and got some unsavory replies by some of the other 2+2ers...then I read Zee's book and Baldwin's section on O8 in Super System 2 and realized how much money I would be losing if I used Warren's strategy.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want perspective outside of 2+2, I would recommend Ciaffone's books and the "How Good is Your" series + Cooke, Yao, Greenstein, Hilger, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Ken Warren's Omaha book is good if you are a total n00b (like me).