Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Internet Poker Tilt

I recently started w 150 dollars online at party poker. got up to just playing 2-4 holdem multitables to 500. I then lost everything back playing 2-4 holdem and Omaha Hi-Lo pot limit. I couldn't catch any breaks in 2-4. I knew my mistakes in Omaha Hi-Lo pot limit. I called 3 different times w 2nd and 3rd nut flushes and lost. Well that's what happened to my bankroll this month. I'm still determined to make money off of poker. I know in Omaha Hi-Lo. I'm not really going to make big calls w a 2nd nut flush now. That's what really killed me 3 times. For Holdem, next time I might just play mostly the top ten hands and really work on my game after the flop. What does everyone think?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Internet Poker Tilt

I think you are playing above your limit. You should have 300BB to play at a limit.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM

I think it is pretty clear that you do not yet have the experience or the knowledge to be trying to learn two different games simultaneously. Pick one and focus on that.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 PM

I just put in money into party poker when I feel like playing. I'm not going to start w 1200 to start.

From reading your other two posts here so far? Go play .5/1, post in the Micros and learn poker. Don't be surprised when you lose 125 BB in 2/4 - such swings are possible even if you're a winning player, and there's no guarantee at this point that you are a winning player. Stick to one game, be it hold-em or omaha, and work your way up. And before you post another hand in small stakes, please read the sticky by Harv on hand posting guidelines.

[ QUOTE ]
For Holdem, next time I might just play mostly the top ten hands and really work on my game after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top 10 hands? Have you been reading Play Poker Like the Pros? Consider buying small stakes hold-em by Ed Miller and throwing away that piece of trash by Helmuth. Seriously. Dump that book before another day goes by.

I recently posted something "Advice for someone willing to put in the time/money" on this forum and the responses I got were really helpful. Mostly in the sense of combining play with analysis and pokertracking to find the leaks. Having a plan and having others aware of my plan and knowing that I'll have a permanent record of the hands I'll be playing and how I play them will likely help my play. I'm looking forward to my first session back tonight with a new perspective of playing 100-200 hands, then taking an equal amount of time to read theory, analyze the hands and post to this forum.

Perhaps a similar regimented schedule would help you as well?

good luck!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just put in money into party poker when I feel like playing. I'm not going to start w 1200 to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then my recommendation would be to play .50/1. Once you've proven you can beat that limit worry about moving up.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then play at a limit where you have the bankroll to play. At .5/1 you only need $300. Or keep donating at limits you can't afford.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Good luck!! So w Poker Tracker, it's really helping you? You find out which hands you play are losing you money in the long run?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Well, that's the hope. I think just knowing that my play will be tracked will force better play. I've been playing for 1.5 years without tracking and I'm starting to think that an analysis of my play using a pokertracker and then going back and studying sessions will help identify my leaks. I actually haven't used it yet, so I'll keep you (and everyone else) posted about my results.

The goal - I guess - is really to just get to the point where I'm playing mistake free poker. If I can do that over the next 100,000 hands - and I STILL can't make money - then I might have to give this up. But, from what I see on here - perfect poker does equal long-term money. It's positive EV - I mean, how can't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In case you're curious, the pokertracker, as far as I can tell - specifically lists stats about how aggressive you are (blind stealing, etc.), you can see how well you do playing different hands at different positions and best yet - collect information about how other players you play with play hands. So, while you should be keeping notes on players - the pokertracker will help you go back and analyze OTHER'S play as well - thus allowing one to find weaknesses...

At least - as I said, this is the hope...