Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Premium Hand. Small Stack. Easy Push. Maybe Not???

last nights 7500 Guaranteed on Empire
Ive struggled thru the first 2 hrs with no hands and have been getting eaten away by the blinds when this hand comes up. third hand after the second break
My stack is 1540
Average Stack is around 3000

I am big blind and post a big blind of 300 leaving me 1040
I am dealt pocket queens.

Early Position limps in ( Hes done this very often with his weak hands so this doesnt bother me )

Late Position then makes it 1000 to play ( Hes been a tight reasonable player. Plays ABC poker )

Cutoff then makes it 2000 to go ( Hes the same as late position very tight but got lucky to double up against another medium stack when his kings took down aces. Has not played a hand since that about 10-15 hands ago)

Its folded to me what is my options? What is my best choice?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Premium Hand. Small Stack. Easy Push. Maybe Not???

I am going to have to put the cutoff man on either JJ, AQ, or AK. But yes, it is an easy call. You need to double up and you have the perfect hand to do so. All you need to fear is KK, AA.. which doubtful anyone has either of those hands or they too would have pushed. Or maybe fear AK.. and someone catching that lucky card. But all-in-all you need to make the push hear. QQ isn't a hand that is going to come around often, and you are in a bad situation. Make the push, get the call, win the hand, double up. -Debra.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:12 AM

uh push. You have 3 BB's left and a chance to triple up. You can't wait for a better spot than this.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 AM

Does it basically come down to the fact that i dont have the stack to wait? Could i hypothetically fold this due to the action or with my stack its a must push.

Obviously im bringing this up because not only did i run into one of the scare hands but ironically both. Late position held AA and cutoff had KK. AA holds up and i leave.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM

not an easy move here. but if your reads on the LP and cutoff are correct with them being a tight/aggressive player. That has played Kings. I would say fold. 2 people already pumping the pot hard and you not even putting money in. Even if one guy has kq. and the other is ak you could be in some trouble. If Lp is a by the book player he is prolly raising with a premium hand. And if the Cutoff plays just the same and reraises. it might be in your better interest to fold and grind until the next one. with 1000 left. you still can make a run.

-sinful
Old 01-25-2005, 02:52 PM

You have the 3rd best hand in hold'em and an absolutely crippled stack. Gotta push here. Folding would leave you under 1k and goodluck working with that.

Ponks
Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if one guy has kq. and the other is ak you could be in some trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 3BB stack, you would pray for this scenario.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:56 PM

i retract my previous post believing you were a lot closer to the bubble. if you close to the bubble as i thought then go with the first post.. but not close.. go all in

-sinful
Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Well this is a tough situation. I understand others' stand of QQ being the third best hand and you being a short stack and that you probably won't see a better hand. But here is the deal - given the raise and reraise from two tight players - I have a hard time imagining that AA or KK is not out there. I know it is too easy to say after the results - but honestly, when you are that short stacked - you need to push the edge - but only when there is reasonable chance that you might have an edge. In this particularly rare situation - I would have for sure put some one on the two hands that I fear and fold. I would then just pick a reasonable enough hand - even like KT or JT as long as I am first in the pot - then push - because that way atleast you have some filtering going on after you. Ofcourse if you get something like AQ - better!
So my point is - even though you are in a desperate situation holding a premium hand - the situation screams for your hand being beat. FOLD
Old 01-25-2005, 03:21 PM

The reason To me this is an easy push is simply because of your stack size and the blinds, even if you know they both have overpairs you need to take a chance. You already have 25% of your chips in the pot and will be left with basicaly no fold equity. If you were on the bubble then maybe you can fold and at least get your buy-in back.

I had a similar situation come up in a recent tourny where I had about 6-7BB's left and far from the money. I held a pr of 77's and the action was raise from UTG and reraise from UTG 2. I knew my 77's were way behind but called with a chance to triple up. 7 on the flop, I triple up against TT's and KK's and 2 hrs later I have the chip lead. Obviously I was very lucky but at some point in a tournament you're going to need to get lucky to win especially if you're crippled early.