Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Closest I came to killing someone...

So I'm driving to work this morning. I drive down a few semi-residential streets (the streets are sorrounded by neighborhoods, but no houses are actually on these streets). The one part is pretty narrow, but has a double yellow divider. Running towards me 2-wide are these two 30-40 yr old soccer moms. Sidewalk is of course right next to the road. I get closer and closer, and they make no effort to get to the side of the road, and continue to block half my lane.

I get a little closer, slow down a little, and they still have made no effort to move. They start motioning me like "drive over the double yellow line". There was a car coming towards me, but not too close. I probably could have moved over, but they had no way of knowing if there was opposing traffic. So I honk, they half move over, I drive over the yellow and give them the finger. They stop, start motioning me like crazy, a few middle fingers.

That did it. I U-Turned my car, and drove towards them. For an instant, I thought of trying to run them off the road. But I drove by and yelled at them out the window, and made my way to work. But they don't realize how close to getting hit they really were. They picked the wrong day to mess with me.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Closest I came to killing someone...

sounds like you handled it perfectly. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

name of the street?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:10 PM

haha the street name is definetly needed here!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM

ya they gave you the finger and motioned you over. they deserved to be run over. no jury in the world would convict you.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Dang man.

Remember this for next time. Next time you see two soccer moms "owning the road", just lay on the horn and speed up towards them.

Of course, you'll still get the finger, but at least you'll feel more like a man.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:16 PM

WTF are 'soccer moms'?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha the street name is definetly needed here!

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, we're both in austin. it doesnt change the story just trying to get a visual. austin's small enough.

he goes to lengths to describe the street. why not just say the name if i know it anyway?

although Tom are you the parent of the Forest school kid? that's way out in the boonies. i dont know that town.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Moms who drive their kids to soccer (you guys refer to it as football) games.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_mom

The term is thought to have been coined by a woman running for city council in Denver, Colorado. When asked for her credentials, she replied: "soccer mom." It came into widespread use in the 1990s, notably during the 1992 and 1996 presidential campaigns and since.

Literally, soccer moms drive their children to play soccer. Soccer is considered a safer and more genteel competitive sport than American football, which is more prominent than soccer in mainstream American culture. At once, the soccer mom is associated with encouraging, if perhaps overscheduling, their children with activities, and with making personal sacrifices for their children's benefit (taking them to play), while perhaps remaining somewhat overprotective (by taking them to play soccer rather than, say, American football).

The term has found a life as shorthand for a stereotype, or set of stereotypes, far beyond its literal meaning.

Most widely, perhaps, they are associated with driving Volvos, minivans, or SUVs. Active pride in their children may be displayed, for instance, with membership in a Parent-Teacher Association, or with a bumper sticker boasting that her child is an honors student at their school.

The term was used as the basis for the song "Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom" by the band Everclear. Though the song departs from the sterotype in that the "soccer mom" in the song has something of a checkered past and this is not necessarily part of the stereotype.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:20 PM

It's in Round Rock. And I'm not a parent.

Not saying they deserved to be hit, nor justifying my actions. Any alternatives? (of course ignoring it and just driving around them). I might run into them again driving to work. I guess the plan is to stop the car and block the entire road if they don't move. Make them walk around me.