Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 10:24 AM

Default I thought I played it well..

Anyone see where to pick up more bets? My hand was good, this question is only about betting.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (18 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Re: I thought I played it well..

Despite flopping two pair, your hand isn't all that strong. In bad position on the flop, I would also check to see what happens. There's really no way to protect your hand after the BB bets and everybody calls. I call the bet and look to bet out on the turn if a blank falls.

Of course, when you fill up, it becomes a moot point. Good hand.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite flopping two pair, your hand isn't all that strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking right?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite flopping two pair, your hand isn't all that strong. In bad position on the flop, I would also check to see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is very vulnerable to draws, and may be beaten right now. This is NOT a reason to check. Protect your hand from the start by betting out. If you are raised, call to see the turn. Note that a raise in this situation could mean a lot of things, from a made straight to an OESD to AT. Don't fold to a single bet with two pair on the flop.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 AM

It's probably best on the flop, but there are at least 20 cards that could still come to make it a second best hand, if it's not beat by a straight already. The focus should be on getting people out of the pot as fast as possible.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The focus should be on getting people out of the pot as fast as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

And so you "check to see what happens" to get people out of the pot? I see "check to see what happens" players all the time. They're the same people who whine about being drawn out on by a gutshot straight when they had the best hand until the river. I spend their money.

Bet out.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM

You're right.

Thinking about this hand for a bit, I see that by checking you run the risk of having it checked around and giving a disasterous free card, or, like what happened, the bet comes from your left and you have to impotently call behind and hope to make some waves on the turn. Betting out at least makes people call something at 5-1, and you can always hope for a raise to cut those odds even more for the chasers.

My mistake. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM

if the pot were bigger I'd like hero's line of waiting for the turn, but as it is I think a bet is in order.