Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM

Default AK bubble

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

UTG (villain)/ (t125)
Button (t2720)
Hero (t765)
BB (t4390)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG (villain)/ calls t125 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,

Hero?

BB (large stack) has been very passive. Has folded his SB to small stack in BB on two of last three rounds. Of course, BB cannot fold this hand as Villain's all-in is less than BB. Also, hero's all-in should be an auto-call for BB as it's less than 2 BB.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: AK bubble

I push, hoping the BB will fold. If not and BB wins, you still get 3rd place. Blinds are 200/400. This may be the best hand you will see before you are blinded off.

Play for the win and settle for 3rd (or in this case 4th) if UTG and BB both out draw you.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

UTG (villain)/ (t125)
Button (t2720)
Hero (t765)
BB (t4390)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
UTG (villain)/ calls t125 (All-In), 1 fold,

Hero?

BB (large stack) has been very passive. Has folded his SB to small stack in BB on two of last three rounds. Of course, BB cannot fold this hand as Villain's all-in is less than BB. Also, hero's all-in should be an auto-call for BB as it's less than 2 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here is absolutely a horrible play here. This is an easy auto push. I'm guessing you got called and sucked out on. Quit worrying about results and start worrying about whether you made the right play. Pushing is always the right play here, regardless if you win or not.

HC
Old 04-04-2005, 11:13 PM

POOOSH. For you to lose, UTG needs to beat both you and BB, and you have to lose to BB. Do not fold. And BB prolly calls with any 2.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 PM

The way the chip stacks are I think your main concern is finishing ITM. That being the case I don't think you want the BB to fold. How about calling and making sure the BB plays too? If his random hand happens to win you are ITM, if he would have folded and you would have won, well, you still would be a distant third in chips.

I also don't think folding is ridiculous. Shorty has to win this hand AND the next and even if he does that, he will have to win another hand the next time the blinds pass. Makes a difference here if the blinds are going to stay the same as they pass you.

Still, I think I prefer a call here.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way the chip stacks are I think your main concern is finishing ITM. That being the case I don't think you want the BB to fold. How about calling and making sure the BB plays too? If his random hand happens to win you are ITM, if he would have folded and you would have won, well, you still would be a distant third in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point, something I wouldn't have thought about. But if the BB is really weak, calling is a good idea. I think I like it.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 AM

Are you wuuwei or something on party? And did you play any $33s today?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 AM

yes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Hmmm, well I thought pushing was the right play and that's what I did. I just worried that it wasn't really correct. Villain shows 9-5? (but it's sooooted!). Big stack calls with 33 *gulp*. Flop comes ace high and I win vs. both.

I think if I had over t1000 (meaning I could survive the next full round of blinds) then I would have had to fold.

At the stakes I play ($22s) I think that Micro's suggestion of calling may be more of an option than I thought. I may give it a try against passive players like this one.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, well I thought pushing was the right play and that's what I did. I just worried that it wasn't really correct. Villain shows 9-5? (but it's sooooted!). Big stack calls with 33 *gulp*. Flop comes ace high and I win vs. both.

I think if I had over t1000 (meaning I could survive the next full round of blinds) then I would have had to fold.

At the stakes I play ($22s) I think that Micro's suggestion of calling may be more of an option than I thought. I may give it a try against passive players like this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here is even more wrong if you have more chips. I never fold here with any amount of chips more than what you already have. Folding is wrong with 1k chips, folding is wrong with 3k chips.

The only possible reason to fold here is to keep the small stack alive when you are the dominating chip leader. And this is only good if your other 2 oppenents are weak tight.

Also, calling is the wrong play here. Although not nearly as bad as folding. Too much bad advice on this forum...

HC