Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Big draw

I flopped a big draw.

How's the
- flop raise?
- free card
- river raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

/twang
Old 05-26-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Big draw

Fold preflop, I just call the flop. Turn is good, river I cap readless.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Nice hand. Your flop raise is good. Your equity in the hand is conservatively about 50% on the flop. Easy raise.

You don't have an equity edge on the turn anymore so the free card is also very good.

Depending on what kind of player the SB is I would liekly cap this river, but if he is fairly passive then the call is probably fine.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:09 PM

I don't raise on the flop. I would rather build a big pot and let everyone hop on in. This probably lessens my chances to win the hand (if I raise and "clean up" some of my K outs), but I am willing to sacrifice that chance in order to win a big hand with a flush. Granted, this probably isn't as clear cut, since we don't have the nut flush draw, but I still think that it's right.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How's the
- flop raise?
- free card
- river raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
With loose limpers the preflop limp is fine. I would just call the flop. The pot isn't big enough for trying to buy outs and you really can't count on players calling 2 cold in this pretty small pot. If you hit your flush on the turn it will often be HU and you'll get checked to.

The turn is nice. Cap the river. You have the 2nd nuts. Sure it looks like SB have been playing a flushdraw but he need to hold A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to have you beat. He could also have been trying to check/raise the turn with a flopped straight or set or something stupid like that. You'll be ahead more than 50% of the time after getting 3-betted on the rver.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, I just call the flop. Turn is good, river I cap readless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pre-flop call is probably close, but I don't think it is bad.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

With 3 limpers and at 2/4 (being passive and blinds unlikely to raise), I think that the limp here on the button is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
[R]iver I cap readless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I think K7s is about EV 0.00 according to PokerRoom stats, but I figured it was better than that with three limpers + blinds + position.

/twang

It's a fold pf for me. I don't think you want to raise the flop because you're making it two bets for the rest of the field, but you want them to call.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:12 PM

The preflop call is totally standard. 3 limpers on the button is a great situation.

I'll also add my voice to those saying cap the river.

Will