Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Default The $500 Bonus --- Let Sleeping Dogs Lay

Yesterday when I read about the MATCHBONUSEP bonus code, I took advantage of it. Today the bonus was revoked and I was "given" $50 with no raked hand requirement.

When I used the $500 bonus code yesterday, I did so with the full knowledge that it was probably not intended for widespread distribution. GrannyMae even warned everyone that it would likely be taken back. But I took a chance and tried anyway.

Everyone seems to be very upset about the bonus being taken back. My personal feeling is that there is really nothing to be upset about. We tried to take advantage of the situation and it failed. We did so realizing that there was a good possibility that it was a mistake. I think the best thing to do is continue on with life and don't go on TILT. Think of it as having AA in the hole and having them cracked by a str8 made on the river -- IT HAPPENS.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: The $500 Bonus --- Let Sleeping Dogs Lay

The point is, it doesn't matter if we justly deserved the $500 bonus or not.

This is a situation where collective action can force Empire to give us the $500, even when it wasn't intended for us. Once the code was out in the open, tons of players took advantage and let out a collective sigh when the bonus was taken away. The angst generated from this debacle is a PR nightmare for Empire, and by using the simple argument that "$500 < Rake generated by angry players", Empire, as a rational decision maker, would be forced to choose to give the $500 to maximize profit. It's as simple as that.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just thinking about it from a pure economic point of view.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal feeling is that there is really nothing to be upset about. We tried to take advantage of the situation and it failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding ding! My feelings exactly. I'm not happy, but I've been getting a laugh out of reading the posts this morning. This is like getting a bank error in your favor, and then being pissed because the bank discovers it and wants the money back.

If you're a regular on this site, then hopefully you're a winning player, and would be playing on Empire/Party/whatever anyway. This isn't the end of the world.

Besides, to the "boycotters" out there, what, are you going to boycott Empire and play Party? What's the point?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Default $50 is fine with me

I feel the $50 is fine restitution for the time and effort I expended, as well as the fact that I tied up $500 that would otherwise have been earning interest in my bank account.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:46 AM

I doubt they would bow to the pressure. This would set up bad incentives.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 AM

I don't like to play at Party/Empire. Took the bonus-lost$36 in the meantime. So where's my compensation? Empire/Party is the sewer of online poker. This only confirms what I knew previous to this fiasco. Rank the large sites as to solidity,stability and integrity and see where you would place Empire/Party and skins. Not a big loss but I feel I've been violated(And no I do not feel that I did anything deceitful--If that were the case all information at this site should be censored). Swill, I tell you, being treated as unwashed untouchables of Calcutta.Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

regards,
carlo

regard
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 PM

The only problem I have with the entire situation is that they somehow tied it to the HOTSEP bonus. If they would have simply given everyone $50 for the mistake or even a $50 bonus with a small playthrough that would be fine. But, making that $50 part of the HOTSEP bonus so that we can't take full advantage of a legitimate bonus is wrong.

I think they should have kept the two situations independent of each other and there would be less complaining.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:10 PM

I do not think that Empire will do anything about the Bonus other than replying to furious e-mails, but I sent my e-mail out to them.

The truth is that they accepted a bonus code and then furthermore sent out an e-mail confirming their acceptance of the bonus.

As a law student this looks to me like a classic case of breach of a contract between two parties. We accepted their terms, they replied to us accepting our acceptance, and then took it away.

Not much to do except express displeasure with your playing time though.

Chris
Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a law student this looks to me like a classic case of breach of a contract between two parties. We accepted their terms, they replied to us accepting our acceptance, and then took it away.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read the terms and conditions that you agreed to. By using a code that was sent to someone else, you are breaking the terms of the agreement.

http://www.empirepoker.com/offers/st...onditions.html

2. EmpirePoker.com reserves the right to send particular promotions to particular players. Promotional offers are intended for the addressed recipient only and cannot be transferred. If you are not the intended recipient, then the offer is null and void.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM

"The $500 Bonus --- Let Sleeping Dogs Lay"

Lie (intransitive).