Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Default What\'s going on

Ok, admittedly I haven't been playing as much as I'd like to in the past month (other obligations), but I used to, and still do play the $5+.5 and $10+1 games on stars, and I have a fair amount of experience.
That said, what has happened in the last week or so of my return has me a little worried. I've seen, and been busted by [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], all-ins PF with 8-7s and K-Q. Both of these were in the first hand (my A-K went down both times).
I'm not upset, if more people want to give money away I'm all for getting the money in as a favorite, but rather my question is this: Have SnGs always been this nuts (have I just been fortunate in the past year/year and a half not to see these) on stars (PP I would expect but on stars it's odd to me), or has the player pool increased rapidly recently (a large influx of players would certainly bring in these types).
Also a subsequent question, has anyone found that loosening their game has helped? I'm to the point where I'm willing to call All-ins in the first level with 9-9 and the like due to seeing 3-3 or K-Q shown on many of these first hand all-ins. I'm just worried about the cascade effect this might have if many players were to become that loose, these lower games would become even more of a crapshoot.

Cody
Old 03-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: What\'s going on

While not directly related to your post, I was in a similar frame of mind and this post helped me a lot.

Play a SnG with me (3/17) by Nick B.

I can't do the link thing. Anybody clue this new guy in on how to do that??
Old 03-22-2005, 04:30 PM

I really hope {insert veteran member name here} is in a good mood when {he/she} reads this.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM

I am such an idiot. I read the 5.50 and 11 level buy in and went from there. I will happily STFU at this point with my apologies.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also a subsequent question, has anyone found that loosening their game has helped? I'm to the point where I'm willing to call All-ins in the first level with 9-9 and the like
Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

You should immediately start playing at Party and sit at my tables.

Yugoslav
PS I have no idea how carefully you track your results or how much you've played....but, most likely you haven't gotten even a taste of variance from the sound of things.
PPS Be glad you don't play limit ring games...
Old 03-23-2005, 03:42 AM

Wow, um where to start. I understand how the tone of my post might lead to that kind of response.
First off, I suppose to clarify I should say that I've played over 2000 SnGs at this level (since I've begun to keep track) so my knowledge/experience with variance (sp?) is fine. But that wasn't the point of my post.
I remember a little while back someone asked if anyone else had noticed games tightening up on average, I was asking the opposite because, in my experience, games haven't been this loose (not just refering to the two in my OP).
P.S. Sorry to those that read this post after I bumped it, I jsut hate those typical "you only listed partial info so you must have no idea about anything" responses and wanted to respond.

Cody
Old 03-23-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not upset, if more people want to give money away I'm all for getting the money in as a favorite

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Have SnGs always been this nuts (have I just been fortunate in the past year/year and a half not to see these)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What's fortunate about not seeing people get all their chips in with 87 or KQ against your AK?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Richard,

Okay, so if the games are looser, then while in certain circumstances being looser yourself may be called for, really all it will do is help you make even more money playing the right way.

In your OP you seem to think that looser play by the rest of the table early is making it harder for you in some way....this simply cannot be the case. From the tone of your post it's difficult to believe that you have a very firm grasp on the true nature of STTs to begin with...

Also, your 'knowledge/experience' with variance isn't necessarily 'fine' or even close to fine. In fact, outside of Gigabet and a couple others who have posted in this forum perhaps (J.A. Sucker comes to mind), everyone has major strides to make in this area...seriously.

Yugoslav
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Richard,

Okay, so if the games are looser, then while in certain circumstances being looser yourself may be called for, really all it will do is help you make even more money playing the right way.

In your OP you seem to think that looser play by the rest of the table early is making it harder for you in some way....this simply cannot be the case. From the tone of your post it's difficult to believe that you have a very firm grasp on the true nature of STTs to begin with...

Also, your 'knowledge/experience' with variance isn't necessarily 'fine' or even close to fine. In fact, outside of Gigabet and a couple others who have posted in this forum perhaps (J.A. Sucker comes to mind), everyone has major strides to make in this area...seriously.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Give raptor a couple more weeks and he'll be there too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM

No one has pointed out the fact that although he was a favorite in those hands, what the heck was he doing all-in PF with AK on the first hand?

Don't complain. If hourly rate is you main concern, then more power to you, but AK is not hand i'm pushing with at level I ...and especially not calling one with(take notes all).