Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Good place to play online?

I am not a pro, but I play pretty good. I have till recently been playing home games, and am around 300 $ up, and we have some good players here. I was wondering what would be a good place to play online ?

I have tried Pokerstars.com but it screws me on the river a lot...so I was thinking if someone has played at a place with better experiences. Also, I don't have enough money to play online for much, I usually sit at the .01/.02 NL table or play 1$ NL tourneys or for limit at the .02/.04 tables or the .05/.10 tables.

If there is any place which doesn't require a min of 50$ deposit that would be awesome too.

Thanks a lot for any help. I have been reading some stuff around here and find it very intresting.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Good place to play online?

Play pretty well? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Playing such low limits, you aren't going to be able to get away from bad-players. I know people who play 20/40 and they still get "screwed by the river." PokerStars is said to have better players on average then most sites. Party poker will have softer tables, but you wont have the super-low limit games that you see stars hosting. As to the 50 dollar minimum deposit, I am unsure as to the policy of other sites....

Hope this helped,

Catch-
Old 03-15-2004, 10:23 PM

If you can't beat the Stars .02/04 or .05/.10 limit tables, or the .01/.02 NL tables, don't even think about playing anywhere else. If you can't beat those tables it means that you're NOT that good and have a lot to learn.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:33 PM

I did not say I haven't been able to beat them, I said I have been screwed up many times of the river, so I was searching for any other better place to play online if possible.

Like just 5 mins back, I went all in pre-flop with AA and this guy called with 10,Q offsuit, to catch two pair on the river. Maybe its just me having a bad experience, so I just want to know opinions about other online poker places.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Try Party

Hi cartoon,

From what I've read on these forums and witnessed firsthand, Party seems to offer the softest games. You will have to take one thing in stride though and that is you'll probably be facing more fish there than other sites. It is important to realize that when there's two or three players at each table calling anything to the river that you will get some surprise results, but ultimately, they'll be paying you off.

I started off at Party with a $200 deposit and began at the $.50-1.00 tables. After I got comfortable, I started playing two $.50-1.00 tables. I've now moved up to $1-2 and I can say that the skill levels between the two stakes aren't too noticeable, but the thing you have to watch out for is going on tilt faster because of those $2 turn and river bets. Experience with the ups and downs of poker and a sufficient bankroll will cure that and then you can move onto higher limits or try two $1-2 tables.

I hope this helps. And by the way, table selection on Party is very important. If you look long enough you'll find tables where more than 75% of the players at the table have less than the buy-in and this *might* be an easy table for you. No serious player will sit there or buy in with $10 or $15 because that's one big hand or two.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 AM

I don't know if being rivered a lot at those levels necessarily means anything about your play. From my experince at the penny limits, most people will go on any suckout draw possible, so you have to expect some bad beats. Things change (a little bit) as you move up to the .50/$1.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:02 AM

"I don't know if being rivered a lot at those levels necessarily means anything about your play. "

true, the fact that you get rivered a lot at those levels doesn't mean that you're a bad player.
however, saying something like 'i don't like the stars games because i get rivered a lot there by bad players' is a sign that perhaps one isn't quite as strong as one might think they are.

go back to stars and beat-up on the penny-games as it will teach you (hopefully) to p;lay tight and deal with the bad-beats.
besides, i think the minimum deposit at most sites is $50 or more....and most sites have .25/.50 or higher so stars with their penny games might be best for you right now.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:47 AM

I have tried Pokerstars.com but it screws me on the river a lot...

That phrase sounds to me that you dont trust the deal at Stars.

If that is the case, then the internet is not the place for you to play. If you can't trust the deal at one of the major sites, then you are not going to be able to play correctly as you'll be expecting to be rivered for the wrong reasons.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:12 PM

Planet Poker is the only one I know of that has a deposit minimum of under $50. I think the smallest is like $5.
Hope this helps.
FsuPlayer
Old 03-17-2004, 03:47 PM

Thx for the suggestions. I will try some other sites out, with Stars, its just not working out.