Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Profit vs. Rake

Are you paying more rake then what your profits are?

I really hate rake.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Profit vs. Rake

Well if your paying more in rake then your profits then it's not really profit is it? I've never had a problem with rake except at very low limits live. Even then you get so many multi-way pots that it's not hard to beat a reasonable rake. Most places in my area take 10% up to 3 dollars and 1 dollar JP.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 PM

You can make money yet pay 10x times that in rake. Just wondering what people are paying in rake. I think PT guys will know this.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 PM

I disagree, the rake is part of what you pay to play the game. If your not beating the rake then you aren't making money so it's not a question of profit versus rake. Also the rake at most online sites is incredibly reasonable.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:52 PM

WRONG you can pay more in rake then your profit.
Imagine being seated at a 20/40 game for 8 hours.
You started with 3K and after 8 hours your balance is 3K.
Break even!!! Last hand you play you win a $40 pot.
You've paid more in rake yet your sitting on a profit.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 PM

You are thinking in the short term, which is incorrect for this question. You will often pay more in rake than you win in a single session--you will often lose in a single session, even without taking rake into account. You have to look at it from a long-term perspective.

Simply put, the higher the limit you play, the lower your win rate has to be in order for your profits to exceed the rake you pay. This is a byproduct of the rake cap on each pot--if the rake cap is $2 but you are playing .50/1, you'll need to win at a pretty brisk clip in order to "beat" the rake. But if the rake is capped at $5 and you are playing 100/200, then the rake becomes pretty isignificant vs. the money to be made.

It's been a while since I played microlimits regularly, but from what I remember, I didn't start to "beat" the rake until I got up to 2/4.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WRONG you can pay more in rake then your profit.
Imagine being seated at a 20/40 game for 8 hours.
You started with 3K and after 8 hours your balance is 3K.
Break even!!! Last hand you play you win a $40 pot.
You've paid more in rake yet your sitting on a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No because unless you beat the rake then you haven't made any profit. If you run a business you don't look at your profits until you taken into account income minus expenses.

Also if you win a 40 dollar pot at a 20/40 game then you might be playing with too high of a rake. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 07:52 PM

Your an idiot and have minimal reading comprehension. They are saying that the amount of rake you have paid is greater than your post rake profit. I.e You have payed 200$ in rake over a week in 3/6. Yet your profit is 150$, which means the amount of rake you paid was less than your profits. Reading comprehension is your friend.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your an idiot and have minimal reading comprehension. They are saying that the amount of rake you have paid is greater than your post rake profit. I.e You have payed 200$ in rake over a week in 3/6. Yet your profit is 150$, which means the amount of rake you paid was less than your profits. Reading comprehension is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down there seether your ruining the internet. Obviously I read the OP wrong, my bad.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 AM

how can you calculate this?