Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Calling station or pot justified?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

UTG+2 is 35% over 50 hands.

Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Back-door flush and straight and possibility or an A (though I could be beaten by AK or AA) hitting good enough to call here for one bet and closing the action?

Turn: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flush is out of the question, but the straight possibility improved. Odds to call?

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

An easy call for me here.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Calling station or pot justified?

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 is 35% over 50 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

35% what?

[ QUOTE ]
A (though I could be beaten by AK or AA)

[/ QUOTE ]

Or KK or a 6.

[ QUOTE ]
An easy call for me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize the pot is 12.5 BB at this point. Does your opponent HAVE AQ, TT, or 99 AND BET IT enough times to make this a good call?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:48 AM

Getting 18:1 on the flop I'd have a hard time folding even with two marginal backdoor draws and pair outs.

I don't like folding the turn with a gutshot getting 10.5:1 even if it may be dirty.

I dunno if you win river often enough, but meh.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Here's how I see it. Folding on the flop was your best option. his display of strength represents AA, KK or AK, which means you're drawing dead to your backdoor draws. I don't really see justification for throwing in a call on the river, either, with the bettor showing as much strength as he did, but that's just me.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 AM

35% vpip, preflop raise is 12%.

I didn't have that great of a read, but got a feeling that this wasn't a horrible player, but not a good one either.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
35% vpip, preflop raise is 12%.

I didn't have that great of a read, but got a feeling that this wasn't a horrible player, but not a good one either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I guess it looks to be all marginal, but marginal + not marginal -.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:58 AM

After seeing some alarms going off on a river bet that I thought was standard, it seems as if I'm following Miller's "call one river bet even if you're beat most of the times" mantra too much. The pot isn't enormous, but decent sized and I don't know how many times I have to be good here to show a profit.

Taking into account the PF 3-bet and the continued strength throughout the hand, the river play now becomes a lot more fuzzy.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:02 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

If that spade was the A and not the Q I would feel much better about the flop call. Nothing criminal here but you should also get a feel for what a player 3 bets with not just how often they raise.